Problem with date field - entering a 'forthcoming' or 'in press' work

I am having some trouble entering information for works that are 'forthcoming' or 'in press' and wonder if anyone else has this issue. When I enter 'forthcoming' in the date field of the reference it is not treated in the same way as an ordinary date (e.g. '2008') would be. It seems that only numerical input is expected here, and as a result the output for a forthcoming work is incorrect - i.e. I use APA and so expect to see something like (Smith, forthcoming) in the text and Smith (forthcoming) in the reference list. Instead I see (Smith) in the text and Smith ( , forthcoming) in the reference list. Does anyone know how I can cite a forthcoming work using Zotero?
  • Search the forums; this has been discussed before extensively.
  • Discussed, yes, but I couldn't figure out what the current status of the topic was.

Could someone tell me if there is an accepted workaround so that we can cite forthcoming work as forthcoming?
  • This is a big issue for me, almost pushing me back to EndNote.

Here is my work-around:

I do two modifications:
    1) I add "(in press)" to the beginning of the title of the article in the Zotero library. So if the article was "Things we care about" it would actually be "(in press) Things we care about".

2) When entering a cite into the document, I add a suffix to the reference that's "(in press)"

Step 1 ensures that the reference list contains the date=in press
    Step 2 ensures that in the document you see "in press" instead of a date.

It ain't pretty, but it works.
  • @zeynep: current status is it's unresolved, but certainly on the radar (e.g. it's a known issue that needs to be resolved; it's just that there are differences about how to best do this, balancing a range of different practical issues).