error msg

Cannot fing meaning of (or reason for) the following warning/error msg

"Save to Zotero" - Attachments cannot be saved to the currently selected library. This item will be saved to your library instead"

Using Zot Standalone, in sequential saves off web of pdfs, may or may not get above msg. Checked both Zotero & Zotfile settings with & without warning - appear identical!

Any ideas

Thanks

R
  • While importing, you have a group selected to which you cannot save attachments--either because it's a public, open group (to which you can never add PDFs) or because the group, or you specifically, don't have file editing access.

Remember that ZotFile will not work for groups.
  • Wow - quick off the mark ;-)

You may well be right, but 1) I do not belong to any groups, & 2) in sequential downloads (not changing anything other than pdf I ma trying to capture) i may/may not get this msg (& in both cases, refs + pdf get placed in my HDD directory as expected)
  • So that's a ZotFile message then? Zotero would still save items to the library even if you don't have permission to add files (it would save without attachments). And I thought that ZotFile doesn't try to move attachments in group libraries anyway. So I'm not really sure how this message would come up. This is for a save via URL bar icon, right?
  • Now you're asking! Cannot confirm whether Zotero or Zotfile msg, nor saving via via URL bar (I've saved about 100files today - sometimes URL bar great, other times have to do the manual download of pdf & then "Save as via Zotero", So cannot recall.

FYI aurimas - still same problem as other day where (with one or 2 exceptions) the metadata are retrieved (automatically) but no writing of pdfs to specified directory. I still need at end of session to & select all the files & use "Manage attach/rename attch"
  • still same problem as other day where (with one or 2 exceptions) the metadata are retrieved (automatically) but no writing of pdfs to specified directory. I still need at end of session to & select all the files & use "Manage attach/rename attch"
    Can you provide a Debug ID for this?
    other times have to do the manual download of pdf & then "Save as via Zotero"
    How exactly are you doing this? Also a Debug ID for the "Attachment cannot be saved" message would be helpful.
  • (@aurimas - am I misunderstanding something or does ZotFile actually move files after you do retrieve metadata? I thought it couldn't even detect that.)
  • manual download of pdf & then "Save as via Zotero"
    I assume that refers to the Firefox download dialog in which Zoteor injects itself.
  • does ZotFile actually move files after you do retrieve metadata?
    hmmm, looks like it doesn't. But I don't see why it shouldn't. @richard, nvm then on the debug id for that case. You'll just have to right-click and manually rename after retrieving metadata. Might want to report this in the ZotFile thread (there might even be some info about this issue there).

And if adamsmith is right about the part, does this message appear if you have something like Trash or a Saved Search selected in your library (rather than a collection)?
  • aurimas - ok - do you want me to do aything. From what I can make out (in english ;-) ) is don't bother with debug?

But your 2nd para not clear (btw - this morning (for certain reasons - don't ask) "My library" was selected. I'll try & make a note of settings etc if this recurs

Cheers

R
  • Well, basically, I have no idea how you would get the message you originally reported in this thread
    "Save to Zotero" - Attachments cannot be saved to the currently selected library. This item will be saved to your library instead"
    With no steps to reproduce or a debug log for this issue, we can't debug this.

ZotFile failing to rename files after retrieve metadata is reproducible, so you don't need to report anything else for that.
  • This is a "me too" message. I see this error message frequently. I DO use a Zotero group, but I have write access to the group. I also use zotfile. Sometimes I can save PDFs into the correct, highlighted collection (either in the remote group, or in my local set of collections) and sometimes I can't. I think this is a bug.
  • We need a debug ID for this in order to be able to say anything. See aurimas's post above for a link to instructions.
  • Thanks for info - good to know I am not only one going bonkers!! I really can't find a pattern - my current working hypoth is that most of the "established" journals transfer smoothly, whilst other more recent (tending to be open source) & grey litt sometimes "don't send correct msg to Zot & Zotfile" - my non-geeky view of life ;-)

Cheers

R
  • edited October 10, 2014
    Also, try installing ZotFile 4.0 as I don't think Joscha will be very interested in chasing bugs in the 3.1 version. Available from
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zotfile/versions/
  • Ok, I'll go ahead and generate a Debug ID. I may try uninstalling zotfile as I believe it was occurring prior to my installation of that plugin.
  • adamsmith

point taken, but repeatability (in my case) is low (contra pc1ssj ??)
  • Thanks guys - its Friday evening my time - with luck, I won't
    be opening zot this w/e ;-)
  • I uninstalled zotfile, to take that out of the equation. I then made sure I had a collection from my remote group selected, and tried to add a paper to the collection. I saw the error message and was informed I would have to add it to my library.

Debug ID is D1403704433
  • And can you confirm that you can not only create an item in that group manually but also attach a file to it?
  • pc1ssj: That Debug ID appears to just show saving to your personal library.

aurimas/adamsmith: pc1ssj appears to be saving a PDF from the download overlay — not sure that's been made clear above.
  • Yes, did that; Debug ID is D144237024. I may not have chosen precisely the same collection, but it's in the same group.
  • Dan Stillman - that's right - I had the collection in my group called "NoTremor" highlighted - that was the location I wanted. However, zotero told me I couldn't save it into the selected collection and it would have to be saved into my personal library.
  • Sorry, I'm still not getting this. That appears to show a successful save of a journal article item to a collection. What am I supposed to be looking at here?

See Provide Steps to Reproduce and provide a Debug ID for a single operation that you explain.
    Dan Stillman - that's right - I had the collection in my group called "NoTremor" highlighted - that was the location I wanted. However, zotero told me I couldn't save it into the selected collection and it would have to be saved into my personal library.
    OK, I've got that part — I didn't know that we automatically save a file to the personal library from the open/save window if there's no file editing access for the selected library. (That's a bit strange, and inconsistent with what we do elsewhere, which is to just show an error.)

I'm not clear how that relates to the second Debug ID, though.

For saving from the open/save window, what exactly was selected in the left pane in Zotero? The library root, a regular collection, unfiled/duplicates, a saved search, the trash?
  • Hi Dan, The second debug ID was in response to:

adamsmith
    29 minutes ago

"And can you confirm that you can not only create an item in that group manually but also attach a file to it?"

So the second debug ID should simply prove that I have write access to the collection on the remote group.
  • Well, I guess you're saying a regular collection, but can you confirm that?
    So the second debug ID should simply prove that I have write access to the collection on the remote group.
    Ah, OK, got it. adamsmith just meant to double-check that you could do it by hand, but thanks, that's fine.
  • Ok, great. Thanks for your help. Please let me know if there's anything else I need to do.

Seb James
    Although, actually, that Debug ID just shows that you can save an item, not a file, which is the issue here.

Judging by the server settings, you should be able to save files as well, but the second Debug ID doesn't show you trying that.
  • I did save a file to the item I created - I clearly remember this. I can confirm that I can indeed save a file to an item in the collection on the remote group.