Zotero refuses to start: Error staring Zotero box appears

Hi all,

I have been using zotero for a long time but today it does not start at all, only getting a message box saying "Error staring ZOtero" (actually, in spanish, but it should not be different).

I have zotero 4.0.22 on ff 31.1.0, scientific linux (RHEL) 6.5 64 bits.

I did not found in the formus any recent discussion on this. I followed the steps in the documentation:

1. Restarting computer has no effect.

2. Deleting extensions.ini, extensions.json and extensions.sqlite (only those present) also was of no help.

3. The browser console shows the following message:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js :: Zotero.IPC</this.init :: line 36" data: no]

I also tried to reinstall zotero, and disabling all other complements in firefox but nothig solved the problem.

Regards,

Fernando
  • edited October 6, 2014
    Zotero is unable to create a "pipes" directory inside your Zotero data directory. Make sure you have write permissions to that directory and that it's not stored on a network share or, say, Dropbox folder. If that doesn't help, try disabling your security software.

(edit: and make sure you are not running Zotero as a different user)
  • Hi aurimas,

Solved, the directory is owned by root but rw for everyone; there was a problem with the file system (which is ntfs due to dual boot), run chkdsk and everything is OK now.

Thank you!

Fernando