installing zotfile

An idiot Q, but how do i install current zotfile into zotero standalone? I cannot follow jlegewie's current installation instructions. I download & save the zotfile-master.zip & extract. From her-on in it is gobbledy-gook - in particular, move to root directory (does that not happen when I extract?) & rename what exatcly?? He talks of "file" - which file, where? Non-telegraphese would help the slow learners. Thanks

R
  • Well, those aren't the installation instructions you're following. Those are the instructions for people who want to build the add-on straight from source so they're not really intended for people who don't understand them ;).

You can download the latest version of ZotFile--the .xpi file ready to install--from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zotfile/versions/ (the 4.0 version: it's currently under review from mozilla, which is why it's listed in the version history, not on the main page, where you can download the 3.1 version). Click on continue, then right-click on "Add to Firefox" and Save link as.

Then in Zotero, open add-ons, click on the little tools icon at the top, select "add from file" and select the .xpi file you just downloaded.
  • adamsmith

Greetings again from a computer incompetent (even tho I started out on a Vax!!). Seriously - I go to the FF add-on page, click on Add to FF / allow & I ncan see the *.xmi (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/240896/zotfile-3.1-fx.xpi?src=dp-btn-primary) but I am buggered if I can actually find the file to install via zot. I have also tried right clicking etc to no avail.

Apalogues

R
  • if you right-click on the link right there in your post, do you have an option to "Save link as"? Use that to download the .xpi
  • Amazing - worked a charm - THANK YOU. But surely I do not need to copy link & and paste & then right click?? If I follow add-ons I get to "FF software Installation manager" which then has link I pasted above - but no amount of R clicking gioves me those options. Odd - but thanks