I installed Zotero Standalone instead of with plugins

I tried to install the plugins after my professor suggested that I need to do this because the little image in the address bar that I am supposed to click on to save the doc file does not appear. It seems that the re-installing does not work and I find myself having to manually copy/paste the doi to get the article information into Zotero. Also, when I try to create a bibliography page the word, <bibliography> is pasted, but the bib page does not appear. I think this is also because I have the standalone version installed. Does anyone know how I can fix my issues?
  • I should also mention that the Zotero plugins are in the MS Word program even though the browser address bar does not show the little image I am supposed to click on to save the article info into Zotero.
  • Which browser are you using? If you're using Zotero Standalone, you should have at least one browser add-on installed in addition. They're all listed here:
    http://www.zotero.org/download/

As for the Word functionality--are you able to insert citations? Do those look right? Which citation style?
  • I'm using Firefox 32.0.3 and I am now able to create bibliographies with Word. I downloaded the add-on as you suggested and I now see the little image to save articles that I click on in the address bar. Thank you. :)

I have another question about Zotero: I have articles on my hard drive that I would like to add into Zotero so that I can add them to the Bibliography with ease. Is there a way to import articles from the hard drive into the Zotero database?
  • There are tutorials on this site, including one about adding items to Zotero. The easiest way is to just drag and drop them. But the tutorials -- which are short and straightforward -- will help you out.
  • Thank you very much for the suggestion of dragging and dropping. I had tried it before when I had the inadvertently installed the standalone version and it didn't work. I tried it again now that I was able to install the add-ins and it worked. Thank you so much. :)