Bibliography with sections

Hello,

I'd like to create a bibliography with sections. I've seen examples where bibliographies are ordered by item type (then alphabetically within that). Headings are inserted manually.

What if I would like to create the bibliography thematically, e.g. sort by a value stored in "extras", or (even better) by a particular tag. I.e. if a particular tag is present, the sort value 1, if another tag is present, the sort value is 2, etc.
(However, see https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8243/keyword-tags-in-style/.)

I don't mind inserting headings manually!

Many thanks!
Bjoern
  • You can sort on any field that is mapped to a CSL variable (same principle as the other discussions you saw on item type). Tags are not mapped, however.
  • Many thanks!
  • edited October 26, 2014
    I was just wondering whether there's scope in the new version of Zotero to insert some additional fields? I guess there's always the danger of "field-creep", but it would be nice if there were some "custom" fields, mapped to CSL. I can think of the following:

- a custom field to assign a "theme" or bibliography section (as above), that is picked up by CSL (of course, tags would do this, but they aren't picked up by CSL)
    - a field for price/cost.
    - a field for an "anonymised reference" to the paper.

I guess that's what the extra field is for, so this suggestion is to add a few more extra fields.

The latter might be a "poor man's" version of the suggestion here https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/32927/anonymize-authors/,
    see further comments there.
  • I don't think there'll be much enthusiasm about this, tbh. I don't think Zotero devs are very fond of generic custom fields; I _know_ that they're not going to go over well with anyone at CSL.

In my opinion, sectioned bibliographies should be solved at the word-processor add-on level (and tags as well as collections could easily be implemented for that there, which would make them much more flexible than a field).

For other info, I'm all for notes (which would work for the anonymization). In addition to Extra, there's also the "Rights" field if you don't need that for it's actual purpose. Can't be used in CSL, but might work well for price/cost.
  • I've tried doing something for Google docs, but didn't get too far really. My preference would be to do this at the export biography stage. In the end I managed to do this by adapting a CSL style (similar to what others have done), sorting by the extra field, and using "dummy entries" to create the section titles.

Tags would be more flexible - what do you think are the chances of accessing tags in CSL?

When you say "notes" - what do you mean? The extra field? Or the actual notes that can be added to items? How would I use those for anonymisation? (Are they accessible from CSL?)

(Btw. it's a shame the Rights don't make it into the CSL, because we often like to indicate the licences when working with Creative Commons materials.)
  • Tags would be more flexible - what do you think are the chances of accessing tags in CSL?
    very small. I really think this needs to happen in the reference manager. CSL serves many tools, and they each know best how they want to let their users build sectioned bibliographies.
  • Off-topic for this thread, but ...
    Btw. it's a shame the Rights don't make it into the CSL, because we often like to indicate the licences when working with Creative Commons materials.
    Apropos: Rich Citations @ PLOS. Styles don't generally provide for rights information in printed citations, to save clutter; but linked-citation systems, as they emerge, will make it easier to supply that information.
  • Sort of on the same off-topic thought, there's some discussion about importing licensing information into Zotero in a more defined format. Would be good to follow up on this at some point.