Zotero Word Plugin not available when Endnote plugin for Word is installed

It seems like it is impossible to install a plugin for both Endnote and one for Zotero. A researcher who already has the Endnote plugin for Word installed is having trouble getting the Zotero plugin.
  • Works for me. Which Word is this?
  • Yes, I have endnote and I'm trying to install the integration plugin for Zotero. I keep getting the "there is no program to open this plugin" message. I can't dump endnote yet because I'm not sure Zotero will work the way I want it. Anyone know anything about this?
  • How are you trying to install the integration plugin? It's a Firefox add-on (and it's pre-installed when you use Zotero Standalone).
    When using Firefox, you should just click on the link to it and it will install.
  • I have the latest version of word. Thank you.
  • Hmmm, that's not answering any of my questions, unfortunately:
    "The latest version of word" is different for Mac and Windows, so please provide the actual Word version.
    More importantly, though:
    How are you trying to install the integration plugin?
    The error message you're getting suggests you're just trying to install it the wrong way.
  • The latest version of word for Mac is 14.4.4. As for the second question, I'm following the instructions on the website and in the forums. It won't show up in Word no matter what I do.

Let's do this differently. Is it possible to install Zotero and integrate it into cite while you write while you also have Endnote X7 integrating into Word's cite while you write?

If the answer is "no, you can't do both" then I'm going to have to revisit Zotero after I submit my dissertation prospectus. I have a 30 day free trial on Endnote, a program that has never delivered from the time I started using it. I'm just a little too far down the road to have to re-enter all my sources into Zotero.
  • You can install both, but the two of them won't work side by side (i.e. you won't be able to insert references from EndNote and Zotero and then get a proper bibliography). So if you're well into your dissertation, you might want to just stick it out with EndNote.
  • I definitely don't want to use them side by side but I do want to have them both on my computer at the same time. I am writing my dissertation prospectus currently not my dissertation. Thank you.
  • Have you tried going through Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors and re-installing the Word add-in (with Word closed)? Do you get an error message?
  • yes, the message is: "there is no program to open this plugin"
  • You get that message after clicking the "Install Microsoft Word Add-in" button?
  • This will really be easier to troubleshoot if to take some time to answer my (and aurimas's) questions thoroughly. Clearly something isn't working for you that is working for hundreds of other users (pretty much all instructional librarians I know have both Zotero and Endnote installed, and, as I say, so do I), so we need to figure out why.

So please take 5 mins and describe _exactly_ what you're doing and what you're seeing, step by step.
  • At this point, I can't even get the preference screen to come up but yes that is what was happening.
  • See my post right above yours--they overlapped. I'm almost 100% sure you're doing something wrong during install, so walk us through what you're doing and we'll figure it out.
  • I am running 14.4.4 word for Mac.

Unfortunately, I can't get the Zotero preference window to come up at all at this point. I go to the Zotero heading at the top and go down to "preferences" and nothing happens. I'm afraid I'm going to just have to wait until the new version of Endnote gets installed.
  • Have you tried restarting Zotero? And if so, the preferences are also accessible from the "Gears" menu. But obviously fine if you want to stop troubleshooting. It's likely a simple fix, though.
  • edited October 7, 2014
    The preferences window is almost certainly just hidden behind the main Zotero window. Find it, or quit Zotero completely, restart it, and try again.

(And if you'd like help, you'll need to take the time to explain exactly what you're doing and seeing, as adamsmith said, which includes quoting error messages verbatim. As Google will confirm, "there is no program to open this plugin" is not a message you're getting from any program — it doesn't even make sense as a message.)
  • At this point I can't even get Zotero to quit. Maybe I should just remove it and start again?
  • Again, we can't help you unless you tell us exactly what you're trying to do — in this case, how you're trying to quit.

It's just a regular program. Go to Zotero in the menu bar at the top and choose Quit Zotero, or control-click it in the dock and choose Quit or Force Quit.
  • I had to restart my computer and that did the trick in regards to getting it to quit.

I followed the following advice from the forum: Have you tried going through Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors and re-installing the Word add-in (with Word closed)? Do you get an error message?

I did this and I did not get an error message. However, when I reopened word and went to the "cite while you write" option, only Endnote X6 is available.
  • Start by checking if Zotero is in the Apple Script menu:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_toolbar_in_word_2008_plugin

if so, you can start working with that and the keyboard shortcuts. The toolbar should show up in Word 2011 for Mac, too, but someone else would need to troubleshoot that--I don't know enough about MacWord.
  • However, when I reopened word and went to the "cite while you write" option, only Endnote X6 is available.
    Is it supposed to be in the "cite while you write" menu? I don't actually know, but it would be inconsistent with Zotero placement in Windows.
  • "Cite While You Write" is a Thomson Reuters (EndNote) trademark. It doesn't have anything to do with Zotero.