how to change my username?

I would like to modify my username, but I didn't find how to do in the Zotero setting of my profile. Is it possible?

Thank you
  • since your username is your login and also part of the URL for your library, it's permanent (short of creating a new account and deleting your current one).
    The name displayed over your Library online, though, is whatever you provide as your Real Name and can be changed in the profile.
  • Since it is not possible to change one's username for technical reasons, and since the username anyway appears in some situations, is there a way to create a new account with a proper username (e.g. a real name instead of a silly nickname) and the TRANSFER the content of the old account to the new account ?
  • your data is local anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem and if you change the username in the sync preferences and sync that transfers all data to the new account.
    You'd have to rejoin groups, though, including getting re-invited to closed ones.
  • Thank you for your answer. Actually, I found it myself, but was still waiting to achieve the whole processus before posting the idea. I wasn't sure everything would be ok. So that's really an easy way to go through the username issue.
    Thanx !
  • I was wondering if it might be possible the change the name that appears in forums to whatever you put as real name. In 2008 it was just the name of my cat, but now it is as bad as it gets. I'm willing to open a new account etc, but there will still be a lot of posts from Isis.

A question about the new account: can it be associated with the same email as the old?
  • Should be able to set it here: https://forums.zotero.org/account/?PostBackAction=Identity

Though your name is also the name of an Egyptian goddess. Let's hope historians don't have to change all the texts to not offend people.
  • Though your name is also the name of an Egyptian goddess.
    And let's not forget the dog from Downton Abbey! It's up to you, but this is mainly an academic forum, I really wouldn't worry about the name being misunderstood. You don't even have it in all caps.
  • @Isis

" can it be associated with the same email as the old? "

I made it this way. Put a second email on your old account. Set the main email on this new mail. Then erase the first mail. Create the new account with this first mail.
  • Hello,

i erase my old account because it use my REAL NAME on username on the Forum. But on all posts i send, they are visible with my REAL NAME.

Why?
    I can't change the username, so i erase it because it's visible on forum and, it continu to be present on internet.

Why it's not possible to change the username? Just 1 time ? It's crazy.
    But now, i know something, NEVER GIVE PERSONNEL INFORMATION IN A FORUM FOR THE ACCOUNT....
    So, please erase all post i send and REALLY CLEAR DATA FROM my account.
  • many services don't let you change your username -- that's because it's also your login and part of the address of your online library. Changing it would create a huge mess. As you know, you can delete your account (and that does delete all associated data), but your old posts won't be deleted, sorry.
  • But you can erase the username or change for XXXX.
    If people take a username with banish word, you can erase it?

Thanks for the response
  • If someone used an account with unacceptable language in the username, their posts and account would be deleted, correct. But since (to take your specific case as an example) I put work into writing a response to your questions, which wouldn't make sense without the preceding question, that's not acceptable.