Library disappears (Z standalone)

Hi - just opened my Zotero Standalone with some 6000 records & associated pdf storage etc, & my central column is blank, & the my "ZotRefs" folder icon in LH column missing. Have checked both Zotero & Zotfile settinga & all seems OK (ie where directory pointers are needed, they are correct - the folders "ZotRefs" with all associated files is still sitting on my HDD).

HELP ;-)

IF this is irretrievable & I have to redrag all my pdfs into the central column from File Manager (I am using Win8.1) can you idiot-walk me thro steps that prevent me/Zot duplicating all the refs & storage folders.

THANKS
  • many thanks - I haven't gon thro everything listed, but the importance of the z*.sqlite got me thinking - I have recently used SugarSync to sync across PCs - sure enough, I have loads of these files (& *.*.bak) in my folder. Loss of my folder in Zot coincides with syncing. I will go in & relabel old sqlite file & see what happens.

Thanks for help - I'll let you know outcome
  • yeah, don't use sugarsync (or dropbox or anything like this) to sync the Zotero data folder--especially not the .sqlite Also, make a back-up of the data folder now, since some of the automated backups do get overwritten on Zotero restart.
  • Yup -just renamed & luckily everything looks OK!! :-))

THANK YOU

By data folder I assume you mean "storage" folder?

Cheers

R
  • no, the storage folder itself is actually normally OK to sync--it's possible you get some type of conflict occasionally (even that's unlikely), but nothing catastrophic can occur.

What you should never sync with a 3rd party tool is the folder that's by default named "zotero" that _contains_ the storage folder as well as the zotero.sqlite.
  • Ah - OK - the actual "programme folder" - in my case "Zotero Standalone" that sits in my Program Files (x86)? Contains subfolders "Components", "Defaults", Extensions etc

SugarSync did allow explicit control of syncing individual files - in their decision to "upgrade" & become more like MS - that is - this option no longer available.
  • No, no one's talking about the program folder. You shouldn't sync the Zotero data directory in its entirety. 'storage' is a subdirectory of that and can be synced if you know what you're doing, but it can be complicated to set up.
  • edited September 20, 2014
    no, not that one either.

When you go into the Zotero preferences under advanced --> Files and Folders and click on "Show Data directory" it will open the data directory. That will contain the storage folder, also a folder called "translators," "styles" as well as a number of zotero.sqlite-type files

Let's call this folder "zotero" because that's what it's normally called unless you moved it somewhere else.

I is never OK to sync the entire folder "zotero".
    If you find a way to sync _just_ the subdirectory "storage" of that folder, i.e. ".../zotero/storage" that's OK.
  • Woah - you mean my "Zotero library"? OK - for a long time I downloaded all my pdfs etc (my references)to Folder A, & every week or so transfer Folder B - to my "Zotero library" ie where my "Data Directory" is.

This means I need to manually update files in A to B?

Thanks

R
  • RE Adamsmith - thanks you clarified my above.

Thanks BOTH for assistance