translating from site to group library

I have followed the "Getting help" guidelines and reviewed similar forum posts, and I'm still stuck.

When I click on the icon to save a library catalog entry to zotero, it automatically saves to My Library. But I would like to save it to a Group Library I belong to and in which I have successfully created to entries manually.

Does anyone know how to save something from library catalog so that it lands a Group Library?

Thanks.
  • if you have the group library selected while saving it should save into the group library.
  • Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Could you please explain a bit more about what you mean by "selected?"

Here's what I did: I opened zotero and logged in. I clicked "Groups" and then clicked "group library," and the library came up. Then I went to the library site and searched for a book. When the book came up, I clicked on the blue zotero icon in the address bar, which looks like a book. A window popped up saying "saving to My Library." After a second or two it disappeared. The book citation is now in "My Library," but not in the "Group Library."

Sounds like I need to do something more to "select" the group library. But I'm not sure what that would be.

Sorry to be dense. I do appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.
  • Thanks a bunch.

Can you please explain what a client is and how I use it? I don't think I'm doing it right.

I went to the link you provided. It looks like there are several different options under Client. I tired the one titled "Firefox Extension" (my browser) and the one titled "Windows" (my operating system). With both, I downloaded it and then it said to restart Firefox, which I did. Then I repeated the steps I following in my above email (logging in, going to group library, going to the library website, and clicking the save to zotero icon). again, the item went to my library rather than the group.

I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • The main misunderstanding is that you seem to think Zotero is a web application. While it does sync to the web, the main functionality is local. So in the following, you shouldn't be doing anything that requires you to go to any specific webpage, including zotero.org.

So you have the Firefox add-on installed. You will see a "Z" icon at the top right of the browser, somewhere to the right of the search bar. Click that. Zotero--the Zotero client--will open.
    Sync: https://www.zotero.org/support/sync and your groups will appear.
  • Also, take a look at https://www.zotero.org/support/quick_start_guide It's not entirely up to date (e.g. the Zotero button in Firefox is now a Z next to the URL bar), but it will give you a good idea of how Zotero functions
  • Thank you both! It's working.