Display Citations As . . . inactive & stuck on "footnotes"

I'm new to Zotero and I'm using v 1.07 with Word Plug-in 1.0b3 in FF 3. I have set preferences for citations to Chicago Style (Author-Date Format). Why is the "Display Citations As" field inactive, with "Footnotes" selected ? I'd like to use Endnotes. Thanks in advance
  • I'm going to write a broader question under "general" and quote Dan Stillman. Thanks.
  • well - the whole point of the author-date format is to neither have footnotes nor endnote, but have the citation in the text. The other Chicago Style formats give you the choice between the two.
    If you want to use endnotes that aren't citations in the text just use the respective MS-WORD feature. You can obviously include Zotero citations in those endnotes.
  • I am having exactly the same problem and I am also a newbie. I want to use Vancouver Style of citation for a piece I want to send to The Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism and I am stuck in footnotes. How do you unstick "Display Citation As"?

thanks,

Adam
  • adam.smith is correct. The Vancouver style uses in-text (numbered) citations, with a reference list at the end of the document, so those options are inactive because they are irrelevant. The "Display Citations As..." options are exclusively for styles that use footnote/endnote citations, such as the Chicago Manual of Style note formats.
  • I want to see article author and year while I write my scientific paper and to be able to see a bibliography at the end. Then when finished will format to Vancouver or similar. At the moment I get a huge chunk of text every time I cite and can't see a bibliography. Help?
  • @HealyBird,

Best start a fresh thread for your issue, it doesn't seem connected to the topic of this one (use the red "Start a new discussion" button to the upper left on this page).