Style Error: [Cardiovascular Research]

Hello,

The citation style looks ok in the pop up window in the Styles repository for the style "Cardiovascular Research", however when I added into my styles folder and used it in word it did not italicise the journal title in the bibliography and did not superscript the number in the text.

Is it possible for someone to double check this style and fix if needed? Details on the style are online at http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/cardiovascres/for_authors/general.html under "(12)references"

All assistance appreciated.
Thanks,
Diane
  • I see the superscript issue (the style in the repository is actually a link to the "European Society of Cardiology" style, which actually doesn't exist as such and is in fact a style for European Heart Journal CC @adamsmith).

I don't see the italics issue. That is, the journal titles are properly italicized. How are you inserting references/bibliography into Word? Are you using the Word add-in or dragging and dropping from Zotero?
  • The italics issue is almost always due to a bug in Word that's triggered when the first reference contains more than 50% italics. That's easier to fix with non-numerical styles (where you can just add a first citation and remove it later) but I think Word remembers it's re-formatting as a separate step, so you could try inserting the bibliography and then doing "undo" and see if that happens.
  • but I think Word remembers it's re-formatting as a separate step, so you could try inserting the bibliography and then doing "undo" and see if that happens.
    I remember us discussing this before, and I think that doesn't work, because this is not an "auto formatting" thing, but just how a paragraph style is applied in Word. If you undo, you regain the italics, but you also mess up other formatting. (very annoying that Word tries to be smart and fails with no workarounds)

Before we try to find a solution to this, though, @dianegal, can you confirm that the first entry has a very long book title or journal name that's supposed to be italicized?
  • Hi,
    Just coming back to this. I tried using the European Heart Journal style and had the same issues (no superscript for reference numbers in text and no italics for the journal name in the reference).

The first two references I inserted in word are as follows:

Zhou P, Leydesdorff L. China ranks second in scientific publications since 2006. ISSI Newsletter [Internet]. 2008 Mar [cited 2014 Sep 16];4(1). Available from: http://issi-society.org/archives/newsletter13print.pdf

2. Zhang H, Patton D, Kenney M. Building global-class universities: Assessing the impact of the 985 Project. Research Policy. 2013 Apr;42(3):765–75.

any ideas on how to fix?
    Thanks,
    Diane
  • To answer the first questions I am using the word add-in to place the references in the the document.
  • The superscript issue is expected, but for the italics--do you get italics in any citation style? Say, Chicago author-date?