[MLZ] Attachments won't sync

I've installed the latest MLZ (version 4.0.21m473) on my new computer.
Unfortunately, the attachments won't sync. I still see a lot of empty blue circles in MLZ.
I have no idea what's keeping MLZ from syncing these attachments.
  • What type are the attachments (stored file, snapshot, linked file)?
  • Syncing works for me here. Are the files present in the Zotero library on the website?
  • stored PDF files. (Snapshots may not be sincing either, but I could care less about snapshots.)

Yes, the files are definitely present in the Zotero library on the website. (I subscribe to the Zotero storage.) The vast majority of these files were put into the library years ago.

I've not had syncing issue across multiple computers previously, so the issue may have to do with my new computer. I'll keeping troubleshooting on my end too.
  • Without being able to reproduce a failure here, it's hard to help directly with debugging. One thing you might do is to create a separate Firefox profile, install official Zotero there (set to use its own, empty library), and sync it to your account.

If it's a problem in the data on the server (timestamps set my an earlier MLZ version? other issues?) the attachments will not come through in the Zotero sync either. In that case, Dan will probably want to take a look.

If the problem is in the MLZ sync code, the attachments will all come through when the Zotero client is synced. We would then have to look closely at the MLZ client, to figure out what it's doing differently from the official version.
  • I can't debug MLZ, but for the general issue, you'd want to look at Files Not Syncing.
  • Another clue for my problem:

When I have the "Download files" switched to "as need" from "at sync time" in the Preference, I can at least initiate sync for an individual attachment by double clicking the attachment. But with the option switched to "at sync time", the files are not synced even when I click on the sync button.

Is this piece of information of any use?
  • Have you been through the steps in the page linked by Dan (up to the "Reset File Sync History" step, followed by a sync attempt)?
  • All the other steps were irrelevant, but the "Reset File Sync History" did the trick. Thanks!
  • edited September 21, 2014
    Well, I spoke too soon. I thought the attachments were finally syncing, as the empty circles had all turned into solid blue circles.
    Now, they are back to empty circles.
    At least syncing initiates when I click the attachment, so all I have to do is endure a little cumbersomeness.

And yes, I had gone through all the steps in the trouble-shooting.