Merge Groups

I have not worked much with groups and have been asked to merge several zotero groups into one big group. Extra storage has been purchased for the new group. Can anyone advise me on the best way to merge groups and what the pitfalls might be? Thank you!
  • How to merge:
    if you're synced to all groups, you can just drag collections and/or items from all groups to be merged to the target group in the Zotero client (not on the webpage).

Pitfalls:
    1. In existing Word/LO document, the link from the references to items that you move to another group will break. The citations will still work, they just won't show any changes made to the data in Zotero

2. If items in different groups were, originally, the same item in a personal library, then you won't be able to add them to the same group. So say you created item A in My Library, then dragged it to group X where it became A* and to group Y, where it became A' - if you now try to drag A* to group Y it won't work.

Otherwise I'd expect smooth sailing.
  • Hi Adam!
    If I begin dragging collections and/or items from all groups to the target group, how will zotero handle duplicates? is this what you are describing in #2? will zotero allow duplicates in the target group that I would eliminate with the duplicate items function in the left column? Thank you!
  • Depends on what the origin of the duplicates is. If those are just regularly created duplicates, e.g. someone imported a reference from pubmed to Group A and then someone else imported the same reference from pubmed to Group B, then yes, exactly what you said.

The special case is if they both originate from the same _Zotero_ item. E.g. you create an item in My Library and then drag it to both Group A and Group B: you will then not be able to drag that item (even if you have modified it) from group A to group B because Zotero keeps track of its origin in the background and knows that that item already exists in group B. Does that make sense?
  • Hey Adam!
    yes that makes sense. Thank you very much!