Unable to download Zotero Word for Windows plug-in 3.1.17

My story: Firefox 32 installed on my (Windows 7) laptop. The next time I attempted to insert a Zotero citation into an MSWord doc, I got the error message "couldn't load component required to communicate with your word processor; please ensure appropriate extension is installed."

When I tried to install the Zotero Word for Windows plug-in 3.1.17, I got the "Firefox prevented this site(www.zotero.org) from asking you to install software on your computer" and I clicked "ALLOW". The full 7.7 MB of the plug-in was downloaded, but then I received the message "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on www.zotero.org."

I have clicked the padlock to the left of Zotero. I get "You are connected to zotero.org which is run by (unknown) Verified by DO_NOT_TRUST (associated site is www.fiddler2.com).

Do I need to worry about DO_NOT_TRUST ? Do I need to insert the extension file - https://download.zotero.org/integration/Zotero-WinWord-Plugin-3.1.17.xpi - into Firefox manually ? If so, HOW DO I DO THAT ? Do I just copy it into the directory Mozilla Firefox / browser / extensions ?

Guidance appreciated !!!
  • Someone is intercepting your HTTPS connections. Fiddler is a web proxy meant for debugging. If that's not something you installed, you should immediately talk to your ISP or network administrator, and you should check your system for malware.
  • edited September 11, 2014
    To elaborate here, Fiddler — which, again, is a debugging tool that shouldn't be installed on your system without your knowledge — installs a custom root certificate in the system's browsers that lets it intercept HTTPS traffic without triggering certificate errors. (Otherwise, you'd get a certificate warning on every secure site.) But Firefox has additional protections for XPIs and doesn't allow them to be installed over connections using non-built-in certificates.
  • edited September 11, 2014
    Well, this was ugly. I had first to figure out what "Fiddler" is. Then, further research to determine that Fiddler2 had probably shown up on my system via another program, which in my case turned out to be BrowserSafeguard. Further contretemps, in that BrowserSafeguard had shown up not in "Program Files" directory but rather in "Program Files (x86). This meant that BrowserSafeguard was not visible via Control Panel / Uninstall Programs. And further, running Malwarebytes did not delete it. Nor did running Revo Uninstaller Pro. Nor did running AdwCleaner. Finally, after a rather long day I had planned to spend doing something else, got help here: http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1121883-cant-find-browsersafeguard-uninstall.html (direction re how to guide AdwCleaner to the remnants of BrowserSafeguard). Finally ! BrowserSafeguard is ALL GONE.

A last scare, when, having removed the program, Firefox was no longer to connect to Zotero AT ALL. I lucked into that fix - changed Options / Network /Connection / Settings from "use system proxy settings" to "auto-detect proxy settings".

So now I finally have been able to download zotero patch correcting Firefox32's noncompatibility.

Whew.

Update: somewhere in all that, the connection between my Zotero-for-Firefox and my library was severed. So: I have again downloaded Zotero. The new download appears to be working on synching to My Library, so I will sign-off for the night in hopes that tomorrow things will, again, be functional.
  • edited September 12, 2014
    Settings from "use system proxy settings" to "auto-detect proxy settings".
    Which means that your system proxy is still misconfigured. So, while you're no longer experiencing issues in Firefox, you may want to figure out how to fix the proxy system-wide, as it may cause issues for other software.
    somewhere in all that, the connection between my Zotero-for-Firefox and my library was severed. So: I have again downloaded Zotero. The new download appears to be working on synching to My Library, so I will sign-off for the night in hopes that tomorrow things will, again, be functional.
    Meaning that you opened Zotero and found an empty library? Then you re-installed Zotero (still had an empty library), entered your credentials under Preferences -> Sync, and synced with your library at zotero.org? That's a bit odd that you would lose the library to begin with and it's probably still somewhere on your computer. I would make sure that you have recovered all of your data (i.e. see if your latest additions to your library are showing up) and that your file attachments are working. If everything is in order, then no need to worry. If you're missing something, we can probably help you find your missing data.

Once everything is working for you, I would suggest making a backup of your Zotero data if you have not already.
  • Can you offer guidance on how I would go about fixing proxy systemwide? Is this a problem in Firefox ? In Windows 7 ?

When I run Windows Control Panel / Troubleshooting / Network and Internet for "Internet connections" the resulting message is: "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection" and a pop-up pane which states "The device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not set up to accept connections on port "The World Wide Web service (HTTP)".

How do I determine what the proxy setting SHOULD be ?
  • it should be turned off, normally.
    This PDF has instructions for both Firefox and Windows. I'd guess that latter apply, but check both

http://customers.harbourisp.com.au/assets/knowledge-base/Removing Proxy server from Windows 7 v1.1.pdf
  • Thank you - I'll look at the pdfs now.

In the meantime, conditions have deteriorated. My new copy of Zotero-for-FF is attempting to sync but on each try, FF quickly jams - meaning shows the message "Firefox is not responding." My other web access seems normal, but the jam with Zotero has now occurred a dozen times or so.

Sent an error report - number 1733 159 720

Any idea what's going here ?
  • Just let Zotero/Firefox sync for some time (leave it for 10-15 minutes in non-responsive state if you have to). Not sure how large your library is, but this could happen on initial sync.
  • When I do that - attempt to let it run and sync up - it goes about a minute before Firefox jams (i.e. message "Firefox is not responding". That seems to be associated with the sync process (i.e., does not happen here at zotero.org, or on other sites I've been on in the last little while.

does the error report ( # 1733 159 720) shed any light on this ?

I have switched Firefox to "no proxy" as you suggested.
  • what you call "jamming" just means it's busy. Let it run.
  • Let Firefox continue running even if it says it's not responding. That is "normal" for a large sync (it will be better in future versions of Zotero).

Also, I don't think adamsmith ever said to select "no proxy" option. What he said is to "turn off" proxy in Windows. In Windows 7, go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings and uncheck everything except "Automatically Detect Settings". In Firefox, you generally want "Use system settings" selected (which is the default)
  • The pdf instructions that were attached directed me to select "no proxy" on Firefox.

I have now, as you suggested, gone into Windows Control Panel and checked "automatically Detect . . . " and UNCHECKED "use proxy server . . . "

Does "Firefox is not responding" really mean that it's "just busy" ?

Does the ERROR REPORT shed any light ?
  • Yes, it's just busy. If it doesn't respond for more than 10 minutes, then there's probably something unusual going on.
  • The pdf instructions that were attached directed me to select "no proxy" on Firefox.
    yeah, that was my fault, though it shouldn't matter either way.
    Does "Firefox is not responding" really mean that it's "just busy" ?
    if both of us tell you that, don't you think it's a bit silly to ask?

Only Dan has access to the error reports, but I also don't see anything that's worth reporting at this point.
  • okay. I'll leave it sit - BUT - the green counterclockwise "sync" arrow freezes - AND - at that point other open Firefox windows (i.e. zotero.org) also freeze.

Evidence that it is jamming, rather than just working ?
  • Can you tell me what you have learned from looking at the error report ?
  • It's just evidence that it's busy doing something that's making it not respond to user input (but there's definitely stuff happening in the background)

Additionally, error logs are cleared every time you restart Firefox/Zotero, so if you're killing the program, there's really nothing to report once you restart.

Finally, I only mentioned Firefox's proxy settings, because it might cause you confusion in the future if you leave it in the "no proxy" state.
  • Wow. I just noticed you are calling me "silly."

Never had that kind of response from tech support before.
  • *community support
  • But, frankly, your distrust in our suggestions is somewhat... unusual
  • Everything appears to be back to normal on this end.

Zotero is terrific - it has changed (and improved) the way I research. I am dee-lighted to have my library back up and running.