relative path for attachment in base directory not working

Hi Everyone,
I am using zotero 4.0.22 in firefox, when I drag and drop a file from xyplorer to zotero, it copies the file to the storage directory instead of making a link.
file directory is C:\Document\Zotero\ZoteroLibrary\Crystallography
base directory is C:\Document\Zotero\
profile directory is C:\Document\Zotero\LibraryQ
Any help will be much appreciated.
  • When you drag a file to Zotero it will by default always store it, not link it. That behavior is entirely unrelated to the profile or base directory settings.

To link files instead of storing them, either use the Attachment --> Link to File option or use
    Ctrl-Shift-drag on Windows/Linux, Cmd-Option-drag on OS X

Also, why is your profile directory in your base directory? That's almost never the right thing to do and can be a sign of you doing something terribly wrong (like syncing Zotero data--as opposed to files--with anything other than the Zotero).
  • Thank you Mr Smith.
    I put all things in the base directory so I can copy just one folder to backup or use FreeFileSync to do the backup. I used to sync the attachments using dropbox, but moved all file out of dropbox after reading your other post about the problems.
    Should I put my profile back into the firefox default position so it will be synced with firefox?
    Thank you very much!
  • Looks like firefox sync doesn't include zotero profile.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data#w_what-information-is-stored-in-my-profile
  • are you just backing up, or are you using FreeFileSync to access the files on multiple machines? If this is just for back up it doesn't matter either way.
  • Thank you! I am just backing up.
  • That's ok then, but you still don't need to set Linked Attachment Base Directory.
  • edited September 10, 2014
    To set the base directory is to use relative path for the attachment, in case I need to move all file to another place.
  • For _linked_ attachments, which, under no conceivable scenario, should be inside your data directory.
  • they're not, though, if you look at the set-up above: the data directory is in ~/LibraryQ the files are in ~/Zotero Library/Cristallography
    so that should be fine.
  • Sorry, I stand corrected.
  • If the file is too big zotero takes a long time to respond if all file dropped on it are copied to separate folders in the storage folder.
    If zotero can hardlink the file dropped on it, then it is unnecessary to do that.