Database Upgrade Error

I am unable to run zotero in firefox. Restarting my computer has no effect.

--------
Database upgrade error

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.rollbackTransaction]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.rollbackTransaction :: line 538" data: no] [ERROR: cannot rollback - no transaction is active]
------------

I have tried to run the Database Repair Tool https://www.zotero.org/utils/dbfix/; however I keep getting this error:
"An internal server error occurred. Please try again later."
  • What versions of OS, Firefox, and Zotero?
  • Windows 7
    Firefox 31.0
    Zotero 4.0.22
  • I tried again to run the Database Repair tool and got the same error again.

I am feeling hamstrung by my inability to access my zotero database with the firefox addon. Do you have any suggestions?

Cathy
  • Sorry for the delay. Can you try to generate a Debug ID for Firefox startup through the error using the "Enable after restart" option? You can access the Zotero preferences via the Firefox Add-ons pane without opening Zotero.

You might also see if temporarily disabling auto-sync in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences makes a difference. (If it does, we'll debug it further.)
  • Hi,

I was able to open zotero once I disabled auto-sync. I've turned on debugging; hopefully that helps!

Cathy
  • You have to actually submit a Debug ID for it to be helpful. See the linked instructions.
  • So far I haven't gotten the error again, even though I turned auto-sync back on. If I do I will post the Debug ID
  • I uploaded the log anyway. The Debug ID is D1263657081.
  • edited September 17, 2014
    Zotero just crashed. The error report ID is 33343262. I had just entered a search term after creating a new subfolder in a collection when it crashed. Still using Windows 7/ Firefox 1.0 / Zotero 4.0.22.
  • edited September 17, 2014
    Can you clarify what you mean by "crashed"? Do you mean that Firefox quit completely, that it froze (which would almost certainly be temporary), or that it told you to restart in the middle pane?

There aren't actually any Zotero errors in that Report ID — we'd really need a Debug ID (which is different) that covers the relevant action, but the feasibility of that depends on what you actually mean here. If you mean the restart error in the middle pane, we'd need a Debug ID for the action preceding it and the action that triggered it. If you can reproduce this reliably enough, you can leave debug output logging enabled and the Zotero preferences window open and submit the output as soon as the error occurs.