Zotero groups

Have recently set up two zotero accounts on Firefox, one for my own use and the other for a group, and notice that individual and group accounts seem to operate quite differently. While in my own account I can easily conduct Google searches and drag items to my zotero account Library. The Library appears within a box below the Google search on my individual account, but not on our Group account. It is not clear to me how to Google and drag items to our zotero Groups library. Any help that you might provide with this would be much appreciated.
  • Sorry, I'm not following. Let's start by how exactly you set up what you call "your group account". Groups shouldn't be a separate account. They're additional libraries accessible-just like your personal library-from one or multiple personal accounts.

I also don't understand where you "drag items" from google into Zotero ever.
  • Thank you for explaining this. Apologies for not having been clear. I set up the zotero account for a group project accessible by multiple members. I plan to manage it and wonder if I need to populate my own personal library first and then move items into the additional group library?

Also, I should not have said 'drag items', because when saving items from Google books I have been copying and sending to my personal library. This permits me to immediately view the pages of the preview that I wish to see when clicking on a citation in my library. If I do not do this then just the book comes up - not the pages that I want other group members to see.

Also, can I set up collections and tags for our Zotero Group library?

Thanks for your help Adam
  • so you have a separate username and password for the group? That's not how this is meant to work:
    But now that it exists: invite yourself to the group and make yourself and administrator. All of this has to happen on the Zotero webpage. Everything else below is _not_ on the webpage but in the Zotero software.

Then sync:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/sync

The group will then appear at the bottom of your regular Zotero library in Firefox (not on the webpage, but in the actual Zotero tool that you open by clicking on the "Z" icon at the top right.) You can save items into the group directly by having it selected when you save items, and set up collections and tags and you can drag both individual items and collections between your library and the group.

See
    https://www.zotero.org/support/groups
  • Thanks again for your help! It appears to be working now
  • Have been backing up entire operating system so when work recently replaced my office computer it was possible to restore my zotero library to the new computer. However, our group library, that I manage solely, was not restored. Collections and file headings in the latter have been restored but if one clicks on the individual files a box appears saying attached file could not be found it has been moved or deleted outside Zotero. Can you please tell me how I most easily restore our Group Library? Thank you
  • If you restored your old database, you would have exactly the same data. Make sure Group Libraries is expanded in the left-hand pane.

To have files, you would need to have restored the 'storage' directory as well. You can look in your Zotero data directory to see what you find. (It's also possible that your data ended up in another Firefox profile directory.)