Unable to install Word plugin 3.1.17

Hello,

I and my work's IT service have just tried to install the Word plugin. I have the latest version of Zotero and tried uninstalling and reinstalling Zotero, but I still get this error message when I try to install the plugin:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to download.zotero.org. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). (Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

Any ideas please? I can't find anything in the discussion thread.

Thank you, Beth
  • See if this helps https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/983328

(you can also download the Word plugin using a different browser if you are in a rush and drag-drop it into Firefox to install, but you obviously want to figure out the underlying issue, since it will probably resurface in the future)
  • Thank you for your help aurimas. I tried the first suggestion - but this wasn't applicable (no bold ssl or tls preferences).

My IT skills then failed me in checking the second suggestion -

"You can try to rename the cert8.db file in the Firefox profile folder to cert8.db.old or delete the cert8.db file to remove intermediate certificates that Firefox has stored.

If that helped to solve the problem then you can remove the renamed cert8.db.old file. Otherwise you can rename (or copy) the cert8.db.old file to cert8.db to restore the previous intermediate certificates. Firefox will automatically store intermediate certificates when you visit websites that send such a certificate.

If that didn't help then remove or rename secmod.db (secmod.db.old) as well."

I could open the about:config page - but have no idea how to do what they suggest next...

Beth
  • edited September 3, 2014
    Your IT department should help you with this, since the problem is on their network. (Your individual copy of Firefox may not be the issue here.)

In technical terms, https://download.zotero.org is served from the Amazon CloudFront content distribution network and uses a technology called SNI to handle name resolution over HTTPS in a cost-efficient manner. Pretty much all modern web browsers support SNI, but some networks inexplicably block it (possibly due to some sort of proxy or monitoring device on the network that doesn't support SNI).

As a workaround, you can download 3.1.17 via this link:

https://zotero-download.s3.amazonaws.com/integration/Zotero-WinWord-Plugin-3.1.17.xpi

But you should really complain to your IT department, since you won't be able to receive automatic updates (or access an increasing number of websites via HTTPS) until this is fixed.
  • Thank you very much for your help Dan
    Best wishes
  • Zotero-WinWord-Plugin-3.1.17.xpi is not working
  • yes it is. It may not be working for you, in which case
    you should run through the various troubleshooting steps:
    www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting
    and if none of them help post a proper error report in a new thread:
    www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
  • Same problem here.

Running Windows 8.1
  • Hi all

I discovered a work around

Download the xpi file using another browser

Then type about:addons in firefox

And drag and drop the xpi file into the about:addons page in Firefox
  • You don't need to open the Add-ons pane. You can just drop the XPI into Firefox.