order of citations get mixed up when using Nature or PLOS ONE

I have a problem when I set the document preferences for Nature or PLOS ONE. In both cases the citations come in the wrong order in the text for some of the citations.

Example, 32, 37-39. Then the citations for 33-36 appear after the 37-39 at different places in the text (and not directly before 40).

If I switch to some other journal style like Global change biology they the citations appear in the correct way/order.

Why does this happen?
  • if you insert a bibliography, are the numbers and references matched correctly?
  • Yes, they are matched correctly
  • we've never seen that and it's quite odd. (And Global Change Biology, being an author-date style, just wouldn't show this particular issue)

This could happen if some of these references are in tables--Word and Libre Office aren't very good about how they treat tables in relations to the rest of the text. Same for footnotes.

Otherwise, just make absolutely sure that the 32, 37-39 occurrence really is after the first time 32 is cited. If that's the case, all I have for you is
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents