Style Request: [ Journal of Interactive Marketing]

Hi
I am a doctoral student in Marketing. I hav spent last few days to edit using CSL editor; but unsuccesfull. Can someone please help me with it.

Style looks like the one below. Use of et al. after four authors.

(Libai, Muller, and Peres 2013)
Libai, Barak, Eitan Muller, and Renana Peres (2013), “ Decomposing the Value of Word-of-Mouth Seeding Programs: Acceleration Versus Expansion, ” Journal of Marketing Research, 50, 2, 161 – 76.

Closest I could find is Chicago Manual of Style 16th Edition.

Thanking you

Praveen S
  • I finally managed to edit using the visual CSL editor.

Still, I would request to include "Journal of Interactive Marketing" in the citation style.
    If needed I can share the crude changes I have made.
  • You can share what you have so far, e.g. here https://gist.github.com/ (no registration needed, copy the url back here again). Then, I can have a look at it and try to improve. I agree, it would be good to include that style in the repository.
  • Hi
    I tried copying it in to gist.
    embed url : <script src="https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a22231fe8c609721fe1f.js"></script>

https clone url: https://gist.github.com/a22231fe8c609721fe1f.git
    browser url: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a22231fe8c609721fe1f

I had edited it from Chicago mannual 16 using visual csl editor.

Thank you for you effort

Praveen
  • I did some improvements:
    * adjust the header information, rename the file according to the id
    * delete translator (just the editors are included now, because I haven't found anything in the style guide about translators)
    * delete series title
    * some other small stuff

Have a look at https://gist.github.com/zuphilip/60960098456f3fcd693d and please try it out. You can report here any differences to the style guide and I will try to adjust them (but I will not have time to look into all details of the styling myself).
  • edited September 5, 2014
    Hi
    Great efforts
    Here are some of the differences I observed.
    1) We need a comma before the and while citing three author papers. (e.g. (Thompson, Loveland and Fombelle 2014) need to change as (Thompson, Loveland, and Fombelle 2014))
    2) "." at the end of the article title should be replaced by a comma "," ( see here Kozinets, Robert V. (1999), “E-Tribalized Marketing?: The Strategic Implications of Virtual Communities of Consumption.” European Management Journal, 17, 3, 252–64.
    2b) this is applicable in the case of books as well
    3)page numbers in citations need a pre-fix "p". For example, "(Arndt 1967, 19)" has to be replaced by "(Arndt 1967, p 19)

Thanks again
  • for 3) would that be pp 19-20 or p 19-20 for a page range?
  • Hi
    I was talking about the in-text citation. It is (Arndt 1967, p 19) only.

Page range in Bibliography is right. It does not need any pre-fix.
  • I understand. But an in-text reference can be a to a page range, too. Hence the questions.
  • It is not mentioned in the JIM style guide.

I checked 5-6 article. But could not find one with an example page range.

I think it might pp, as it is a kind of standard practice.
  • ok, let's go with that.
  • Also, is it possible to put three em-dashes for repeating of author in bibliography.
  • the style should already do that. If it doesn't make sure the author is entered exactly the same way in Zotero each time.
  • I tried to get a dash. But it is not coming.

My output

Hennig-Thurau, Thorsten (2004), “Customer Orientation of Service Employees: Its Impact on Customer Satisfaction, Commitment, and Retention.” International Journal of Service Industry Management, 15, 5, 460–78. doi:10.1108/09564230410564939.
    Hennig-Thurau, Thorsten, Gianfranco Walsh, and Gianfranco Walsh (2003), “Electronic Word-of-Mouth: Motives for and Consequences of Reading Customer Articulations on the Internet.” International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 8, 2, 51–74.
  • I see. Have a list at the substitute rules here:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#reference-grouping
    which should we use?
  • If an author appears more than once, substitute three em dashes (this will appear as a one-inch line
    when typeset) for each author's name. Arrange the list of the author's published works in chronological
    order beginning with the earliest publication first.
    If two or more works by the same author have the same publication date, they should be differentiated
    by letters after the date and alphabetized according to the first word in the article title. The letter
    also should appear with the citation in the text:
    Day George (1981a), "Analytical Approaches to Strategic Market Planning" in Review of Marketing,
    Ben Enis and Kenneth J. Roering, eds. Chicago: American Marketing Association, 89-105.
    _________(1981b) "The Product Life Cycle: Analysis and Applications Issues", Journal of Marketing,
    45, Fall, 60-67.
  • If an author appears more than once, substitute three em dashes (this will appear as a one-inch line when typeset) for each author's name. Arrange the list of the author's published works in chronological order beginning with the earliest publication first.
    If two or more works by the same author have the same publication date, they should be differentiated by letters after the date and alphabetized according to the first word in the article title. The letter also should appear with the citation in the text:
    Day George (1981a), "Analytical Approaches to Strategic Market Planning" in Review of Marketing, Ben Enis and Kenneth J. Roering, eds. Chicago: American Marketing Association, 89-105.
    _________(1981b) "The Product Life Cycle: Analysis and Applications Issues", Journal of Marketing, 45, Fall, 60-67.
  • SO correct oe would be
    Doe. 1999.
    ---. 2000.
    ---, Johnson & Williams. 2001.
    --- & Smith. 2002.
    ---, Stevens & Miller. 2003.
    ---.---,--- 2004.
    ---, Williams et al. 2005a.
    ---, --- et al 2005b.
  • That's not clear from the instructions. All of them would substitute in the example they provide, so we'd need to again look at the journal to make sure.
  • e.g. from JIM article

Shankar, Venkatesh, Gregory S. Carpenter, and Lakshman Krishnamurthi (1999), “ The Advantages of Entering in the Growth Stage of the Product Life Cycle: An Empirical Analysis, ” Journal of Marketing Research, 36, 2,269 – 76.
    ——— and Sridhar Balasubramanian (2009), “ Mobile Marketing: A Synthesisand Prognosis, ” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 23, 2, 118 – 29.
    ——— , Alladi Venkatesh, Charles Hofacker, and Prasad Naik (2010), “ Mobile Marketing in the Retailing Environment: Current Insights and Future Research Avenues, ” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24, 2, 111 – 20.
  • Also, as they say "substitute three em dashes (this will appear as a one-inch line when typeset) for each author's name."

Thus each repeated author would need three em dash.
  • edited September 5, 2014
    Okay, I am beginning to correct the issues.
  • thanks--I think we're far enough that you can submit the result as a pull request.
  • I guess we should also check thesis and working papers. Did someone check that already? What item type would I choose in Zotero/CSL for a working paper?
  • we use report for working papers.
  • @praveens, @adamsmith: Thank you very much for the help. All issues mentioned above should be adressed now. I checked the thesis type and report (working paper), which should now show up according to the manual. The style will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp).
  • Hi zuphilip and adamsmith

Can we edit JIM to adapt to JOR (Journal of retailing) also and upload it as separate style? Only a minor change in 'Issue' is required.

For example
    JIM
    Levy, Michael and Drug Grewal (2000), “Supply Chain Management in a Networked Economy,” Journal of Retailing, 76, 4, 415–29.

JOR
    Levy, Michael and Drug Grewal (2000), “Supply Chain Management in a Networked Economy,” Journal of Retailing, 76 (4), 415–29.
  • Yes, such an adaptation for a new style can be done. Are you sure that the rendering of the issue number is the only difference between the two styles?
  • edited October 14, 2014
    No, there is no italics in the other style, for book chapters the editors are before the book title, ...

Update: The order of editors and book title seem to be different for book chapters and conference proceeding. Moreover, after the authors name and the year in parentheses there is normally a comma. But not for books and book chapter there is a point. Strange. Anyway, we have to check that more carefully.
  • But all published papers seem to follow a different style than what is mentioned in the style guide.
    for eg.
    titles are in italics in published papers.

e.g. for a book chapter in JOR
    Bandura, Albert (1986), Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A SocialCognitive Theory, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
    published articles have comma only.