File handling problem

Hi!

Suddenly my Firefox/Zotero set up has stopped launching pdfs within Firefox.

Instead it opens the dialog box to launch via the system. In the dialogue box my default external reader is Adobe; if I tell it to use firefox instead and press ok, another tab opens and the dialog box asking what program I want to use appears again - so an infinite loop!

I have tried deleting the mimetypes.rdf file (which, incidently is only recreated when I launch Zotero standalone and not Zotero Firefox plugin, don't know if that's relevant) to no effect.

I have played around with the extensions.zotero.launchNonNativeFiles;false
hidden preference which I confirm to be "false" so I am expecting Firefox to deal with the pdf and not to launch externally.

I have used preferences in Zotero, toggling the "Open pdfs and other files in Firefox when possible" check box, to no effect.

My firefox pdf extension is pdf js, recently updated to the latest version (Aug 26th). I can view pdfs from the internet within Firefox just fine. I disabled the adobe plugin because pdf js states this can cause problems but it has had no effect on the problem.

Am I right in deducing this a Firefox/pdf js problem?
Some other avenues to explore would be really welcome!

Thanks!
  • edited August 27, 2014
    Hi!
    Ok I fixed it, basically I was deleting the mimetypes.rdf file in my ZOTERO profile directory (i.e. one folder level up from my data directory) but actually I needed to delete the mimetypes.rdf file in my FIREFOX profile. That worked! Maybe could be signalled a bit clearer on this page https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_handling_issues
    Because I though I knew which profile directory it was talking about and obviously I didn't!
    Hope this is useful for someone else!
    Chiarina
  • Hi!
    I can`t handle with the bibliography in the folders.
    The files just appear in a inicial page all messy. When i create a folder and put the file into this, it`s still appear at the initial page.
    How can i solve this?
    Waiting for an answer.

Bianca.
  • bianca - please start a new thread (the red "start a new discussion" button at the top left) and then explain your problem in a lot more detail. Remember that we can't see your screen (but FWIW, not that Zotero doesn't have folder, it has collections which function differently: https://www.zotero.org/support/collections_and_tags#collections