can not empty trash in mac or firefox

I have the problem of getting a huge number of duplicates after the IT department made a copy of my library on drop box for an update of the computer. Now when I have deleted all the duplicates manually I can not empty the trash in the stand alone or firefox. I use Mac so the suggestion that I have seen (right click, or use delete buttom) does not work. The syncronizing has also stopped working after the the copy of the library was made (it has thousands of conflicts). I have now deleted the copy of the library but would need to empty the trash both the stand alone and the firefox. How can i do it?
  • can you select items in the trash? If so, using the delete button should work. What happens if you try?
  • Yes, I can select them but nothing happen when I use the delete (or backspace arrow) it does not work, neither if I use it with command backspace that is usually necessary to delete files, or any other combinations with backspace (fn, ctrl, alt).
  • Do you think it would work if I uninstalled zotero and installed it again (after exporting the library) and then imported the library into the newly installed zotero?
  • no, absolutely don't do that. You'll get another set of duplicates.
  • Can you take a screenshot with a single item you're trying to remove from the trash selected and either email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread or post it somewhere and provide a link? I think it'd be helpful to see exactly what you're trying to do.
  • Could you provide a debug ID for pressing backspace (I believe technically that may be called delete, too, on a mac--but we're talking about the backward-pointing arrow with the x in it)
    That should really work
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
    Also, have you tried to right-click (that's ctrl+click on a Mac not set up for right-click) on the trash and select "Empty Trash"?
  • Yes, a Debug ID would also be helpful.
  • I use Mac so the suggestion that I have seen (right click, or use delete buttom) does not work.
    Oh, yes, and as adamsmith says, whenever you see "right-click", that just means control-click on a Mac (though Macs can also be set up with actual right-clicking).

So you can simply control-click on the Trash and choose Empty Trash, but if you have many thousands of items in there that might not work well.
  • Thank you! The ctr + click worked!