"save as" box opens if .pdf

I just updated to the branch (r3309).

Now, when I click on a pdf file, in zotero, that has the .pdf extension, a "save as" dialog box opens. If I remove the extension, everything is fine.

Error report #689555767 (but it doesn't look like anything zotero related in there, but I don't much about these things).

I seem to remember having this problem a while back. I don't remember if there was a preference to change, or if it was a bug that was fixed. Anyhow, it's back.
  • Does this happen with other extensions disabled? What happens when you click on a PDF on a web page? Can you provide the debug output for when you try to open the PDF?
  • Dan!!

Don't you have a life??? This is a holiday!! :)

All extensions disabled...same problem.

I can click on a PDF on a web page, no problem.

Here is the last part of the debug output. I don't know how much you need. Let me know if you need more.
  • Clearly, I exist in this world to serve you.

Debug output didn't come through.
  • edited September 2, 2008
    Wonderful!

But I'm a little disappointed that you can't read the contents of my clipboard unless I actually paste it into this form. Sighhhh.

[extra output removed]

zotero(5): SELECT linkMode, path FROM itemAttachments WHERE itemID=13636
    zotero(3): MIME type application/pdf can be handled by plugins

[extra output removed]
  • That looks right. What happens when you load zotero://attachment/13636/ manually in the address bar?

Also, what's the value of launchNonNativeFiles in about:config? And what type of file does the download/save dialog say you're trying to open?

You might want to check the settings in the Applications pane of the Firefox prefs to see if there's anything untoward.
  • 1. Loading manually gives the same results: opens save as box.

2. launchNonNativeFiles = FALSE

3. HMMM, It shows save as "ACDSee 8.0 PDF"

4. Applications Pane: It shows 3 PDF file types, but I don't know the differences among them (I can't expand the window or the columns). The first was set to open with Adobe Acrobat reader IN Firefox. BUT, the last two were set to SAVE FILE! (Go figure).

I changed the last two to open en Acrobat Reader, but now they open outside of FF. So that's an improvement!!

RECAP: If the PDF file does NOT have the extension...it opens in FF

If it HAS the .pdf extension, it opens externally (But, for some reason, I prefer it to open in FF).

It seems like I've read about this before, so, I'll go searching the forums, unless you have a quick answer for me. :)
  • Well, the issue isn't really Zotero here. Based on your debug output, Zotero knows the file is application/pdf, but all Zotero does is pass files with MIME types that can be handled internally to Firefox's load handler.

When you download a file from the web, Firefox uses the MIME type sent from the server, which generally should be application/pdf regardless of whether or not the file has a PDF extension. But when it just loads a file on disk, which is what it's doing when a PDF is loaded from Zotero, it has to guess the file type, often based on the extension, and it gets some help from the OS for this. So there's likely some setting in your OS that has associated PDFs with ACDSee 8.0. You can probably generate the same behaviors by dragging those files (with and without extensions) from the filesystem onto Firefox.

But, to bypass all that, I assume you didn't see an option to open those other two file types in the Acrobat plugin within Firefox?
  • But, to bypass all that, I assume you didn't see an option to open those other two file types in the Acrobat plugin within Firefox?

Correct. I did not. I meant to put that in my previous post, but I forgot. I tried just putting Firefox, but all that did was continually open new tabs.