German adaption of Chicago Manual of Style (Author-Date format)

I adapted the style Chicago Manual of Style (Author-Date format) for German usage.
http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-author-date_de/dev

I did the following changes:
  1. replaced delimiter-precedes-last="always" with "never" to get rid of the last comma in author names
  2. added colon as suffix of term "in"
  3. added colon as suffix of term "accessed"
  4. changed variable "issue" of "article-journal from "no." to "Nr."
  5. changed "month day" to "day. month" for blog posts
The current adapted style may still have some shortcomings. As I'm not very experienced on these things please feel free to improve this style yourself. Any comment or improvement is appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter
PS.: The preview feature does not work at the moment, but this is not a problem of my adaption. See here.
  • Thank you for posting your changes here!

With the Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date), I came across the problem that the in-text citation of two authors results in:
    (Name1, and Name2 2013)
    instead of
    (Name1 and Name2 2013) [without the comma]
    I've seen that this is not the case in your modified German version. How did you do this?

Just changing the delimiter-precedes-last="always" to "never" did only remove the comma before "and" in the bibliography but in the in-text citation it still remains there.

I couldn't find out what code-change caused the comma to remove in your version.

Any help is welcome!
  • edited July 8, 2014
    Just changing the delimiter-precedes-last="always" to "never" did only remove the comma before "and" in the bibliography but in the in-text citation it still remains there.
    That's exactly what you want to do. You likely just did this in the contributors macro. You also need to do it in the contributors-short macro.
  • edited July 8, 2014
    Thank you!
    I didn't notice this line, because it didn't contain the "delimiter-precedes-last"-tag at all.
    After
    <macro name="contributors-short">
    <names variable="author">
    I had to change the line:
    <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=", " initialize-with=". "/>
    to
    <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="never" initialize-with=". "/>
    and it apparently works fine.

By the way: Is this original behavoir really wanted like this? I've never seen a citation like "Name1, and Name2" before, so it appears to me as if this is a "bug" in the Chicago-styletype and is not only limited to the German way of citation. Or am I missing something here?

EDIT: Okay, I've never heard about the "Oxford comma". Thanks for the information.
    The Wikipedia article might be interesting for everybody not familiar with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma
  • yes, that's right. When it's not set at all, delimiter-precedes-last defaults to contextual, i.e. it shouldn't appear before "and" with two authors, but will appear before "and" with three or more authors ("Oxford comma").