Attached file could not be found

Hello I am setting up zotero on a new computer and I am getting the Attached file could not be found, it may have been moved or deleted outside of zotero. This is true for all files I try to sync from the zotero server.
I am running Ubuntu 12.04 using crouton on an acer chromebook.

I followed the steps outlined here
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
and made it all the way to the part where it says to reset file sync history, and get a debug ID for syncing and opening a file. That debug id is as follows
D1275108806
Let me know if I can provide anything else. I'd love to get zotero working on this machine.
  • In related news, syncing also appears to give an error
    The file '4X34UNSE/waaach5baaaaaaalaaaaaasabiaaanqalrc7ktikn+kffslst5eiiwbexaiuiqscrjiiz6kudz4pqqbsacdrs43apqgyibwqdp6feebswbe7pblptvxzq551qm35wsaxzjrfvjajaaaow==@22' could not be created in the Zotero 'storage' directory.
    Which when I report it gives an id number 56088490.
  • I tried setting up a second crosh (crouton for chromebook) device virtual box with zotero standalone and tried specifying the storage directory. I got the same error message again with the following ID number.

It looks like maybe one of the file names in my library is too long to be saved on my machine, perhaps. If this is the case, why is it causing all the other files to also not download to my machine? Is there some way I can remove this long file from my library, if it exists? Searching my zotero library for that file name didn't turn up anything.
  • edited August 16, 2014
    Following these instructions
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10918/error-while-syncing-files/
    I found the directory with the offending file. There were a bunch of other oddly named files there, so I deleted the whole directory. After sync though, it just re-appears. Any way I could get it out of my zotero library so it doesn't just keep re-emerging?

The Restore to Zotero Server option after removing the file looks like a promising option, but there enough warnings about doing this that I am hesitant to try this without a go-ahead from somebody who knows more than me about this. Anyone?
    I will follow the instructions here, if I do this
    zotero.org/support/kb/sync_reset_options
  • edited August 16, 2014
    Yes, don't use the reset options. This shouldn't happen, but if you know the directory that's caused it, paste that 8-character string into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode and you should see the item in question (in one of your libraries). Delete it, and then empty the trash. Then if you get a sync conflict, choose the local deleted version.
  • Dan Stillman,
    Your suggestion worked like a charm. There were probably about six folders that had this problem and I deleted them one at a time using your method. Thank you so much for your help.
  • OK. You can probably add those attachments back on this computer (with the more stringent length restriction (filesystem encryption?)), for what it's worth.