Using BitTorrent Sync to synchronize documents (manual)

Chris has written a nice manual on how you can synchronize your linked pdfs etc. across several computers. Basically he's letting Zotero do the syncing of all the metadata via Zotero-Server, and Bittorrent syncs the storage of the linked files.

http://blog.bittorrent.com/2014/08/12/sync-stories-zotero-sync-for-academia-anywhere-access/

This could probably work out very well also for syncing papers among users of a zotero-group.

I have not (yet) followed his advice, but I'm a medium-term user of the bittorrent Sync software and I must say: that is a very powerful and flexible sync-tool for any purpose. I'm really intrigued by the concept (no cloud needed) AND the software (VERY simple to set up - even works on android and ios).
  • cool, thanks.
    FWIW, this won't work well for groups, since Zotero doesn't distinguish between attachments in groups and in the personal library in the storage folder (so you'd end up with everyone's personal--not just group--files on every computer), but for individual use this will work nicely.