Style needed

Sorry for once again reverting to the forum rather than being able to work it out on my own. I am trying, honest!

My style guide directs that the first entry and the bibliography should be the same, following entried in-line can use 'some form of shorthand' (in doesn't specify, but {last name, page} for arguments sake.

Which means my in-line and bibliography edits need to be identical. Using the 'search by example' I settled on Oxford - The University of New South Wales, as being fairly close, and in English - to what I needed, but now editing I am feeling overwhelmed by trying to make sure the inline stays exactly the same as bibliography, but I'm fairly sure they didn't start exactly the same which makes the problem worse.

Question 1:Given the examples below, can anyone suggest a style to begin with?

Question 2: Then, is there anyway (presuming I am starting with a style that is the same in-line and bibliography) to make sure edits change both in-line and bibliography?

Question 3: I needed to remove the 'in' as in 'Article Name' in [I]Journal Name[/I]
Was I right to delete the single entry 'in-(term)' , or should I have deleted the whole group of entries that began with a condition?
(Conditional
If chapter OR paper-conference
Group
in (term)
container-title (variable))

Thanks again.

The New Grove Dictionary
FORMAT
Author: ‘Title of article’, New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd ed., eds. Stanley Sadie and John Tyrrell (London/New York: Macmillan, 2001), vol., page.
EXAMPLE
(Note volume nos. in Roman numerals and inclusive page numbers for article)
Lindley, Mark: ‘Pythagorean Intonation’, New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd ed., eds. Stanley Sadie and John Tyrrell (London/New York: MacMillan, 2001), xv, 485– 7.

The New Grove Online [now called Oxford Online]
FORMAT
Author: ‘Article’, Grove Music Online ed. L. Macy (Accessed [Day Month Year of access]), web address.
EXAMPLE
Franklin, Peter: ‘Gustav Mahler’, Grove Music Online/Oxford Music Online (6 October 2008) http://0www.oxfordmusiconline.com.ditlib.dit.ie:80/subscriber/article/grove/music/40696
• All Internet sites used must include the date they were accessed

Single-authored book
FORMAT
Author [surname, forename]: Title in italics (place of publication: publisher, year) page number [just the number is required].
EXAMPLE
Wolff, Christoph: Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician (New York and London: W.W. Norton and Co., 2000), 433.

Single-authored book (later edition)
EXAMPLE
Turabian, Kate L.: A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses and Dissertations, 6th ed. (Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1996), 15.

Multi-authored book
EXAMPLE
Little, Meredith and Jenne, Natalie: Dance and the Music of Bach, expanded edition (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2001), 76.
Translated or edited book
EXAMPLE
Stiller, Günther: Johann Sebastian Bach and Liturgical Life in Leipzig, trans. Herbert J.A. Bouman, Daniel F. Poellot, Hilton C. Oswald, ed. Robin A. Leaver (St Louis, Mo.: Concordia Publishing House, 1984), 34.

Article in a journal/periodical
FORMAT
Author [surname, forename]: ‘Title of the article in single inverted commas’, Journal Name in Italics, volume number, (year), page(s) [just the numbers].
EXAMPLE
Leaver, Robin A.: ‘Bach’s Understanding and Use of the Epistles and Gospels of the Church Year’, BACH, vi/4 (1975), 4–13.

Article/essay in a book containing articles by various authors
FORMAT
This is similar to citing from a journal: the title of the article is placed in single inverted commas.
EXAMPLE
Leaver, Robin A.: ‘The mature vocal works and their theological and liturgical context’, Cambridge Companion to Bach, ed. John Butt (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997), 86–122.

Unpublished dissertation
FORMAT
Author: ‘title of the thesis in roman type-face’, (Degree, University, Year), page number. EXAMPLE
Little, Jonathan: ‘The Origins of Quarter-tone Harmony’, (Ph.D diss., Trinity College Dublin, 1982), 55.

Signed article in an enclyopedia or dictionary
FORMAT
As above, the article is in single inverted commas; the name of the dictionary is in italics. EXAMPLE
Hatch, Martin: ‘Pelog’, The New Harvard Dictionary of Music, ed. Don Randal (Cambridge Ma.: Harvard University Press, 1986).

Music scores
EXAMPLE
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus: Don Giovanni, libretto by Lorenzo da Ponte, English version by W.H. Auden and Chester Kallman (New York and London: G. Schirmer, 1961), 37.
Music scores with an editor
EXAMPLE
Bach, Johann Sebastian: Cantata no. 4; Christ lag in Todesbanden: An authoritative score; backgrounds; analysis; views and comments, ed. Gerhard Herz (New York: W.W. Norton and Co., 1967), 24.

Article in CD/DVD notes
EXAMPLE
Boulez, Pierre: ‘Notes on Sprechgesang’, trans. K. Aber, notes for WERGO 60001 (Köln: Wergo, 1963), 31 pages.
• Citing the conductor: Boulez, Pierre (cond.): Arnold Schoenberg: Moses and Aron, Deutsche Grammaphon, 2 CDs, 449.174-2 GH 2.
• Single composer on one disc: Schoenberg, Arnold: Moses and Aron, The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Pierre Boulez, cond., Deutsche Grammaphon, 2 CDs, 449.174-2 GH2.
• Multiple composers on one disc: citing the entire recording: The Symphony in Europe, 1785, European Community Chamber Orchestra, Jorg Faerber, cond., Hyperion CDA66156.
• One selection on a recording: Schubert, Franz: ‘Sonata, D.784, Op. 143’, Andre Watts at Carnegie Hall, Andre Watts, piano, EMI CDC 549 094 2.
• Citing a DVD: Wagner, Richard: Parsifal, Deutsches-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Kent Nagano, cond., Opus Arte, 3 DVDs, OA0915D.
  • Question 1:Given the examples below, can anyone suggest a style to begin with?
    nothing great. You could also look at Chicago Manual and MHRA.
    Question 2: Then, is there anyway (presuming I am starting with a style that is the same in-line and bibliography) to make sure edits change both in-line and bibliography?
    well, I don't think such a style exists in the first place, to be honest. But if it is indeed the same, then it likely relies on the same macros and changing one will change the other.
    Question 3: I needed to remove the 'in' as in 'Article Name' in [I]Journal Name[/I]
    Was I right to delete the single entry 'in' (I can't find it now - I deleted it), or should I have deleted the whole group of entries that began with a condition?
    that should be fine.
  • Thanks Adam, it seems like I'm as well of sticking with what I have, since I've already made some changes, and will just try to learn the editor better. I've discovered citationstyles.org, which will be another port of call for my questions. Thinking about it, there will always be small differences between in-line and bibliography, although my style guide doesn't mention them, but the obvious one is page numbers. Anyway, thanks again.
  • no, please don't ask questions on citationstyles.org--it's the same people, just fewer of us.
  • ha! ok. Was trying to spread the load around. It's just small things that seem to get me, random commas, or a name that won't list in my preferred order. Anyway thanks, I'll ask questions here then.