Help needed

I realise there are so many help files, but I've tried many times to get my head around this with varying degrees of success. At the moment, my citations for books show a URL address, if I happen to have one, which probably means I got the book as an ebook online - but that isn't of relevance to the citation, I just want it to cite like a regular book.

But because the visual editor example citations don't have URL addresses they don't show, so I don't realise the problem until compiling, plus it isn't easy to fix via the editor. What I really need is a visual editor that shows my own example's from my zotero database.

Can that be done?

Thx.
  • What I really need is a visual editor that shows my own example's from my zotero database.
    In Zotero, select the items you want to show up in the editor. Right-click--> Export Selected Items --> CSL JSON

Open the file in a text editor (notepad, textedit), select all and copy.

In the visual editor, click on "Example Citations" at the top right. Click on "Citation 1"
    Click on the arrow next to "advanced"
    You may need to move the window to see it in full (you'll need a button at the bottom).
    Copy the content of your exported CSL JSON file from Zotero into the window and click "Add new References"

The references will now be listed as possible references to include in sample citations. Check the box next to the ones you want included to see them while editing.
    I believe the editor will remember your sample citations with typical use, but no promises there.
  • Alternatively, there exists the zotero reference test pane, see https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/reference_test_pane