4.0 "Your WebDAV server returned an internal error."

Just moved to a new computer and set up zotero plugin from scratch, trying to connect WebDAV (which always worked, and is on a personal server) gives me an error.

I enabled logging and sent it in, the debug ID is D684184064. Please let me know if you need anything else to identify the issue.
  • Wanted to add, URL is http:// and definitely resolves in the browser...
  • That means what it says. A PUT to your server is returning a 500 error — you can view it yourself in the debug output. Just making a GET request in the browser doesn't really tell you anything about whether a WebDAV server is correctly configured.
  • edited June 10, 2015
    Hi there
    I just setup webdav on my server and I think it's ok (though I am not an experienced user...)
    I believe this cause:
    1. I can connect to the webdav portion of my server from my OS (using Nautilus and set dav://ipserver/webdav)
    2. I can connect in http://ipserver/webdav and see the contents of webdav using firefox (eg I can see the zotero directory and other test files created by me on webdav documentroot)
    3. using "wget -v --user=name --password=pass -S ipserver/webdav" the result is the webdav's file-list

Trying to connect zotero plugin to this webdav I have the error discribed in the beginning of this topic. But I can't find why.
    * when I create "zotero" directory (inside webdav documentroot), plugin comes with:
    "WebDAV Server Configuration Error"
    "Your WebDAV server returned an internal error."

* when I delete the "zotero" directory, the plugin comes with "Error -8"

I also didn't understand what was the solution in the discussion above...

any help ?
  • With wget you're just making a GET request. Your server is returning 400 and 500 for WebDAV-specific requests.

If you provide a Debug ID for a validation attempt, I can tell you the specific message you're receiving (or you can look at the debug output yourself), but this is just some misconfiguration of your WebDAV server.
  • I made a validation attempt in debug mode and the ID is D846107052
  • Right, so:
    (3)(+0000013): HTTP PUT ' ' to http://[...]/webdav/zotero/zotero-test-file.prop

(3)(+0000122): <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
    <html><head>
    <title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
    </head><body>
    <h1>Internal Server Error</h1>
    <p>The server encountered an internal error or
    misconfiguration and was unable to complete
    your request.</p>
    <p>Please contact the server administrator,
    webmaster@dummy-host.example.com and inform them of the time the error occurred,
    and anything you might have done that may have
    caused the error.</p>
    <p>More information about this error may be available
    in the server error log.</p>
    <hr>
    <address>Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at [...] Port 80</address>
    </body></html>

(3)(+0000000): ===>500<=== (number)

(3)(+0000886): WebDAV verification failed
    The server is returning a 500 error for a PUT.
  • thank you very much Dan... I will try to fix my settings