Congressional Documents

I use a lot of government documents in my research and right now Zotero works well for everything but hearings and legislative reports. Please add templates/styles for legislative materials.
  • Rather than say what template you need, why not just tell us what specific pieces of data you cannot now store?
  • Here's what a citation of a congressional document looks like:

_Congressional Globe_, 28th Cong. 1st sess., 1: 322.

Obviously the title is Congressional Globe (or later, Congressional Record) and that needs to be italicized. The volume and page number (at the end of the cite) are easy enough. But the number of the congress and the session are tricky.
  • If you are able to contribute a little time to it, the zotero-legal group might be of interest. The wiki pages of the group are being used to marshal common use cases, with a view to to pinning down how various categories of law-related content should be entered in Zotero, and what is missing by way of field names and functionality. I've opened a skeleton wiki page there for deliberative session records, feel free to extend it along the lines of the existing page for U.N. documents.
  • That's not a full citation, though?
  • @bdarcus, it's a complete cite, although I'm, not sure what style it's in. The full set of Bluebook examples (from Rule 13.5) is:

Modern
    123 Cong. Rec. 17,147 (1977).
    131 Cong. Rec. S11,465-66 (daily ed. Sept. 13, 1985) (statement of Sen. Wallop).

1833-1873
    Cong. Globe, 36th Cong., 1st Sess. 1672 (1860).

1824-1837
    10 Reg. Deb. 3472 (1834).

1789-1824
    38 Annals of Cong. 624 (1822).
    1 Annals of Cong. 486 (Joseph Gales ed., 1789).
  • Maybe I'm just being a social scientist, but ...

Those periodical issues contain hundreds of article-like parts. How does one denote exactly what one is citing (a speech on the floor, testimony before a committee, etc.)?
  • edited December 30, 2009
    I'm not familiar with this material, but as far as I know, the Congressional Record only includes transcripts of floor debates. The Bluebook gives the following as an example cite to a Federal committee hearing:

Protection from Personal Intrusion Act and Provacy Protection Act of 1998: Hearing on H.R. 2448 and H.R. 3224 Before the House Comm. on the Judiciary, 105th Cong. 56-57 (1998) (statement of Richard Masur, President, Screen Actors Guild).

For state committee hearings, they give the following example:

Tax Credit for Cost of Providing Commuter Benefits to Employees: Hearing on H.D. 636 Before the House Comm. on Ways and Means, 1999 Leg., 413th Sess. 5-8 (Md. 1999) (statement of Del. Paul Carlson, Member, House Comm. on Ways and Means).