Local Zotero on Android tablet

I realize the Zotero/Android question is a big one, and I apologize if I'm raising a question addressed elsewhere (though I have looked).

I'm looking for some sort of work-around so I can have limited access to my Zotero library on my tablet when I have limited or zero access to the internet.

If Zandy wasn't so perplexing and user-unfriendly, I would use it (and take advantage of the limited connectivity I will have). But it's so exasperating, and time-consuming to use.

I'd be totally happy to have a non-syncable local copy of my Zotero files on my tablet (not quite 4 GB -- that's okay).

But how can I access it? I tried copying the whole Zotero database to my tablet (Android 4.2), but can't figure out how to access it.

So I copied every PDF file from my library into the tablet. Works, kind of, but it's not a very elegant solution.

Like I say, I don't care about syncing -- I'll just delete everything when I'm home again -- or uploading. Just static access to my database.

Peripherally, if there's some way to get Zandy to work with a local database, that would totally work for me.

Thank you!
  • edited July 28, 2014
    Have you tried ZotFile? http://zotfile.com/ This tutorial looks pretty good http://www.hks.harvard.edu/library/zotero/tablets.htm

I've used it myself with Dropbox, DropSync (android app), and Adobe Reader (on android) with very decent results. You can either sync a handful of files or sync them all. Make sure that ZotFile renames the attachments with metadata (I personally like author-year-title.pdf)
  • Thank you, aurimas -- I've installed ZotFile, but it won't let me choose a directory on my tablet.* I open ZotFile Preferences, choose the "Tablet Settings" tab, and check the box that says "Use ZotFile to send and get files from tablet."

I then go to the tablet, and choose a target folder. But nothing happens. The folder path does not show up in the "Base Folder" box on ZotFile, the "Show Folder" button does nothing, and there is a red exclamation-point warning next to it. When I close the window and come back, there's nothing there.

I have tried a number of different folders, including the ones my PDF readers -- iAnnotate and Adobe Reader -- use, with the same result.

I have tried both Zotero stand-alone and Firefox versions (on Windows 7).

I know you said you use Dropbox, but I'm trying to do this entirely offline.

???

Thanks, anyone.

*Lenove IdeaPad S6000 w/ Android 4.2.2
  • edited July 30, 2014
    I then go to the tablet, and choose a target folder. But nothing happens. The folder path does not show up in the "Base Folder" box on ZotFile, the "Show Folder" button does nothing, and there is a red exclamation-point warning next to it. When I close the window and come back, there's nothing there.
    Where exactly is the target folder that you're trying to select located? Are you perhaps trying this with your tablet plugged into the computer and then selecting the folder actually on your tablet? I'm not sure if that option would work or even if you would want it to work. Typically, this is used with some local folder that is then synced to your tablet (e.g. via Dropbox).

Edit: by "would want it to work" I mean that it may be less convenient. Though obviously you want it to work. I think Zotfile is getting confused by the path to your tablet's internal folder. You can try posting about this to the offcial ZotFile support thread
  • edited July 30, 2014
    I'm not familiar with Android (yet), so I may show my ignorance. How are you connecting the tablet with the PC? Is there a way to mount the tablet filesystem via a cable? Or are you trying to use direct PC-to-app communication over WiFi?

(nevermind: I was misreading your post. I'll leave you in the hands of people who know something about Android.)
  • @fbennett, this is the reason I suspect ZotFile is getting confused. Android doesn't exactly mount itself as a separate disk. It's connecting via MTP or PTP protocol, which at least in File Explorer on Windows gives you paths like Computer\device-name\Card (that's the full path...) FWIW, Firefox is not able to save files directly to this location either, so I don't think ZotFile will be able to fix it.
  • edited July 30, 2014
    Given the above and if you really really really want to avoid using web storage to transfer your files, there are ways to create an FTP or Samba server on your android phone/tablet (e.g. I use FileExpert, but there are plenty of other options), which you can then mount as a drive on your computer. This would then allow ZotFile to write directly to your tablet.