[MLZ] Sort by Notes Not Numeric

When I sort by "Notes" column, I get 8, 80, 9, 90, etc., instead of 8, 9, 80, 90. Thx, m
  • This was fixed in the mainstream Zotero beta just two days ago. I'll put up a fresh version of MLZ containing the fix later today.
  • Done. If you update MLZ (to ver. 4.0.21m471 or above) the note-count column (and any other columns with numbers in them) should sort numerically.
  • Thanks Frank! M
  • But, hmmm, now notes don't sort as they used to. I had devised a system to put a little hierarchy on notes (under each source). To force "note #1" to the top, I prefixed "0000". Note "#2" would be "000" etc. But now leading zero's seem irrelevant? Will it be thus from now on? I can now force to the top of the list with the "`" character, I noticed. m
  • edited July 25, 2014
    But now leading zero's seem irrelevant? Will it be thus from now on?
    Yes. You can't really have it both ways. Part of numeric sorting means that "00001" means "1" and should sort before "2" or "10" or "00010".

But with the new sorting code in the official beta (which I assume MLZ has now picked up), you can use most basic punctuation to force things to the top. (This was always the case previously, but isn't the case in the latest official Zotero release, which started ignoring punctuation when sorting. In the next version punctuation will be ignored except at the beginning of lines, to allow this sort of hack.)
  • OKAY. I never really questioned the logic behind the sorting (changes) in the past. I just accepted it as a given, and worked around it. I do prefer the new way, although I will have to make adjustments to some existing notes. Thanks, Mark