Mac Word plugin inserts note citations as plain text not fields

I am inserting citations using the Word plugin (toolbar and menu display the same behaviour).

The style I am using puts citations in footnotes.

Approximately 50% of the citations are inserted into the footnotes as formatted text without field codes - toggling field codes on and off does not reveal any field codes for these citations - they are just text (correctly formatted for the style). The other 50% are OK.

Some references seem to always cause problems and are inserted as plain text; others are inserted properly sometimes and as plain text on other occasions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Simon

Zotero Standalone 4.0.21.5
Zotero Word Plugins reinstalled from 4.0.21.5
Word 2011 for Mac
Australian Guide to Legal Citation style reinstalled from Zotero Style Repository
  • we've never seen anything like this as far as I know. Are you inserting the footnotes with Zotero or first insert the footnotes with Word, then insert the Zotero citation? (Both should work, in most cases the former is recommended).
  • Thanks for your reply. I'm inserting the footnotes with Zotero by clicking on the 'insert citation' button in the toolbar or selecting the item in the Zotero menu. I'll keep tinkering and let you know if I find a solution.

Thanks again
    Simon
  • Could they be in tables or image captions? That might make a difference.