Conversion of PDFs to M3: files

I have noticed that a considerable number of references in my library which originally had a PDF attached, now have a yellow folder icon with a name starting with M3 followed by a series of numbers. This has nothing inside it, the PDF is gone, and there is no html snapshot either. Can you tell me what may be causing this?
  • Where is this happening, exactly?
  • Can you take a screenshot of what you're referring to, post it somewhere (Dropbox, imgur.com), and provide a link here?
  • are you sure these actually were PDFs at any point in time?
    What this looks like is notes that have been created during import from RIS files, which have the DOI number in the M3 field.
    I don't really see any way that Zotero would have produced this.
  • Yup, these notes are just from the original import and haven't changed recently, and I see no indication on the server that you had files attached to these items either (at least recently).
  • But I've never imported via RIS ...! I have always saved directly from zotero for firefox into my library. Nothing is saved like this originally .... am I missing something?
  • Some of these certainly would have had PDFs ...
  • You're right - they aren't recent additions to the library.
  • You have 145 items with that same Date Added, down to the second, which means they were imported together. You either imported those from a RIS file or you saved them from site that generated a RIS file (internally or externally). That also makes it pretty unlikely these ever had attachments.