Unable to sync the desktop

I've just resolved some conflicts between my laptop and my zotero inbox, but that darn, hypnotic arrow keeps spinning on my desktop. I let it run overnight. No good. The desktop shows the categories, but does not load the entries. Any help would be appreciated.
  • What does it say when you hover over the icon?

In any case, you should just restart Zotero — you don't have anything queued on the server right now.
  • And it looks like your conflicts were resolved. If there was a blue progress bar, it might have just stalled during file syncing afterward.
  • When I hover over the icon, it shows three lines, the first: "Sync with Zotero server" is in black
    The next two are in gray: "logging into sync server"
    The third "Last sync: 264 days ago."
    I'm on a campus network, so I'm not sure if that might be an issue.
  • Hmm, well, you synced successfully a few days ago. Not sure if that was a different computer. In any case, restart Zotero and try again.

If you really haven't synced successfully on this computer in the last 264 days, check your system proxy settings to make sure they're either disabled (if not necessary) or correct (if they are). Security software could also interfere.
  • I've been talking with our administrator, who thinks system proxy settings are ok at this end. We did find an error message (repeatedly) which I cannot report. The dialogue box just hangs. Is there an authentication problem?
    Thanks for your patience.

The error message is below.
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Cannot modify properties of a WrappedNative" nsresult: "0x80570034 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CANT_MODIFY_PROP_ON_WN)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js :: timerCallback.notify :: line 1556" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js" line: 1556}]
  • Can you follow the Debug ID steps from Zotero startup through a sync attempt, using the "Enable after restart option", and then view the output, copy it, and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread? (This is assuming you can't just submit it.)
  • A few things:

1) You're using Zotero 4.0.8. You have to upgrade to the latest version for us to be able to help you.

2) When you can't support an error report, it's important to say whether you're using Zotero for Firefox or Zotero Standalone. I assumed you were using Zotero Standalone, since it's very unusual for syncing not to work in Firefox if you can otherwise browse the web normally in Firefox. Can you?

3) Since this is Zotero for Firefox, we'll need debug output for Firefox startup through a sync attempt, again using the "Enable after restart" option (assuming you're still having trouble after upgrading).
  • Looks like the upgrade did it. Thanks so much for your help.