Are there a reference types available for Music Scores and other stuff

Many Libraries use such classifications as books for musical scores but in fact they are different and need handling differently.

Scores have publisher, composer, published date like a book but also need additional information such as style (ala orchestral, string quartet, vocal, choral etc) . There is also editor name, whether the score is an original autograph or an edited copy etc. There is also a need to show whether parts are available or whether full score or whether it is a mini score etc. If it is a multi-movement composition and of so what they would be, Plus it would be useful to be able to describe what instrumentation the score is written for.

There are also scores that are published in multi-composition sets or "books" where there may be more than one composition in "book" Ala maybe say the 30 "Goldberg Variations" by JS Bach This issue also needs handling.

Now I realize some of the above could be placed in a comment field but I would love to see musical scores as a reference type.

ref here for some simple examples..
Joseph Haydn, Joseph Haydn Werke, Ser. XII, vol. 6, Streichquartette “Opus 76,” ‘Opus 77’ und ‘Opus 103’, edited by Horst Walter, Munich: G. Henle, 2003.

Richard Wagner, Tristan und Isolde, piano-vocal score edited by Richard Kleinmichel. New York: Schirmer, 1906.

I don't see that zontero handles these any better than the libraries???
---------

Another items that seems to be missing is Translator. i.e. say there is a musical score or book that was originally written in say German but has been translated hw ow does one include the translator in the reference?

-----------

NB I have been an Endnote user for a while and they also have similar issues but I still am keen to find a product that will allow me to set up or will provide such reference types as a huge number of my references are of the musical score type.

I have also just moved over from a PC/Windows world to a MAC/OSX world and so am looking at what word processors are supported..

I am interested in using one of the following mac apps, MS Office 2008 , iWorks08 or Open Office v3 (native OSx version currently only in beta mode) for MAC.

Seems that at the moment Zotero does not support any of these... Shame.. Looks like a great product.

S.
  • Worked out that NeoOffice (open office product) works really well in MAC OSX and is MS Office compatible (reads/writes MS Office docs) so helps when sharing work with other university staff and students.

Neooffice is very stable which is brilliant. Seems more so that the OSX version of OpenOffice but as with all OpenSource time is best test of this.
    Zotero also works really well, in "Native NeoOffice" formats.
    (although when saving files with references into a format for MS Office Compatibility there are a few issues)

Now all I need is the Music related fields and output styles in Zotero and I will be very close to research heaven ;-)

Shame Zotero does not work in Internet Explorer (or somehow within).. as the university campus hardware almost all has Windows and IE installed and not Firefox.. And as they are locked down can't install firefox either.. Not a major issue as almost all my work is on my MAC anyway, but would be nice. Would open up the market/userbase for Zotero by a lot of only it weer IE compatible.
  • "Shame Zotero does not work in Internet Explorer (or somehow within).. as the university campus hardware almost all has Windows and IE installed and not Firefox.. And as they are locked down can't install firefox either.. Not a major issue as almost all my work is on my MAC anyway, but would be nice."

Portable Firefox on a USB stick or portable hard drive is your solution. That works with pretty much any system.
  • Tried portable firefox.. seems to work great .. Only issue is it is VERY slow to load.
    But still a valuable option.. thanks...