Questions about Advanced Search

Sorry, I do not understand quite well the Advanced Search box.

1) After I clicked the search button the found items appeared in the Advanced Search window. But what can I do with these items? A double click shows me just the one item I double clicked in the middle zotero pane, so I can work with it. Thats fine, but what with the other items in the Advanced Search window? Selecting or dragging does not work. I'm always supposed to save the search in order to be able to work with the found items?

2) I do not understand the check button "Search subfolder" and "Only show top-level items". For me there is no difference if I click them or not. Advanced Search always looks from the top level "My Library" thru all levels. It doesn't matter if I check one of theses boxes or not. Intuitively I thought the Advanced Search would start at the folder I'm actually in. Then theses boxes would make sense because they would mean: "Search from here the hierarchy upwards respectively downwards". But this in not the case. What did I wrong or what did I misunderstand?

3) The same problem applies with the saved search. I would like to have a predefined saved search as a fixed starting point and then the possibility to confine the search further with different terms in the standard search box in the middle pane. At the moment one has to produce either new saved searches or continually to change and reverse the saved search because. The normal search box ignores the results coming from the saved search and looks always thru the whole library.
  • 1) Yes, if you want to do more than work with a single item in an advanced search your best bet is to save the search and manipulate the items in it in the same way you normally do. You can then just delete the collection if it is no longer of use to you.

2) "Search subfolder" is really only used when you are searching in a Collection. For example if you search, Collection is Shakespeare you will only see the items inside that collection, however if you set search subfolders you will also see all of the items inside sub collections.

"Only show top-level items" cuts out any of your search results for attachments. For example try doing a search where Item Type is Note. If you toggle the "Only show top-level items" box on and off you should switch from seeing all your notes to only your stand alone notes.

3) If you save a search, you can then use the basic search functions on that subset.
  • Hi all,

couldnt find the button to post a new question, so putting it here:
    - the advanced search does not seem to show the items from a parent collection (the items that are in sub-collections, which are made visible under the parent collection).

When setting up an advanced search, items in sub-collections show up, but the same items do not show if you choose a relevant parent collection. This is needed when a search needs to include items from all subcollections of that parent collection.

Thanks!
  • The button is "Start a New Discussion" at the top left.
    But for your questions -- the advanced search window has a "search subcollections" checkbox that's specifically for this.