problem transferring my library on zotero server to empty standalone

Hi,

Thank you for helping. I have read all the documents and forums that I could find. But I do not seem to be able to get my library on the zotero server to download the 400+ citations that are stored there, to a new standalone version of zotero. For some reason the old version of zotero was empty and I could not find the backup files.

So I go to my library on the zotero website and can see all the citations but have no clue as to how to download them to the new empty version of zotero. I have already tried the sync function and the advanced button in zotero preference and cannot get the files to download.

Please tell me the trick to do this. Thank you.
  • Sync should be all you need.
    First, please clarify what's actually not working - are you not downloading _files_ (i.e. you see the items in Zotero, but can't open the attached files) or no information at all?

Assuming the latter, we'd need to know what exactly is happening when you try syncing. Do you get an error message? Is there a red exclamation mark next to the sync symbold (the round, green arrow)?
  • Hello - I've been hunting around for an answer to just the question posed above! I can see everything in my online Zotero directory, but when I click Zotero within Firefox -- it's empty. I recently had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox, so I suspect this is the problem. How can I repopulate my library in Firefox?

I see that you suggest syncing @adamsmith... I have clicked sync (Zotero button in Firefox / settings / preferences / sync) but nothing seems to happen, at all.

Can you possibly help? These are all of the references for my PhD dissertation! Many thanks.
  • You can first check:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/restore_after_firefox_reset

As for sync -- not sure which button you're referring to: there's no sync button in the preferences: Make sure your username and password are set in the preferences (and are the same you're using to log into the website) and then either turn on automatic syncing or close the preferences and click on the round, green arrow at the top right of Zotero.
  • Thank you so much! That did it... I was looking at sync preferences rather than the green sync button. Link to support page helped also -- all looks just perfect now.

Thank you once again -- your help is very much appreciated.