German Localization Problem

I noticed that some of the German localization in my installation is not finished. (Mac Intel, 10.4.11, Zotero 1.0.7, FF 3.0).

Instances of not translated strings can be found for example in the "Advanced Search" window like the Search, Clear, Save Search buttons, "Only show top items" etc.

What I do not understand:
  1. I've looked up Babelzilla and it says that de-DE is 100% translated.

2. So I've looked up my locale under extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale and it says de-DE (not de-AT or de-CH, which are still not finished).

3. Then I downloaded the zip file from the web translation system and inspected these files. They have all the necessary labels already translated?!
So what could be wrong? Do I have old localization files? How to check?

Maybe there is something worng with my FF installation? (I deactivated all the Add ons).

Help would be appreciated very much.
  • Zotero's chrome manifest was pointing to "de-DE" (which Babelzilla uses), but Firefox only distributes a "de" build, and, since Firefox didn't find a "de" entry in the manifest, it was defaulting to the "de-AT" locale.

I've fixed this in the latest 1.0 dev build, but dev builds generally aren't usable with non-English locales because of recently added strings. If you don't want to wait for 1.0.8, you can manually edit the chrome.manifest file within extensions/zotero@chnm.gmu.edu in your Firefox profile and change "locale zotero de-DE" to "locale zotero de" (but leave the path alone).

Thanks for letting us know.
  • I followed your description for the fix and it worked.

Thanks!
  • Another question concerning the problem with de-DE/de-AT confusion:

Wouldn't it be feasible to take the translated de-DE version for de-AT as well? There are only very minor differences, as far as I know just one word (The month January is in Austria "Jänner" and not as in German "Januar".) Taking the de-DE version for Austria would be also a good starting point for the translation of the latter versions, because it would be a good thing if these German translation do not differ where it is not necessary. - Just a thought.

When would be approximately version 1.0.8 available?