Zotero can't find my attached files

Hello,

I've been using Zotero for a few years without any issue. I have about 70MB of pdf files that were in my Zotero library. I used to sync them with Zotero storage, and recently changed the file syncing option to sync with WebDAV (Box.com).

Now, whenever I click on a pdf attachment, I get an error saying "The attached file could not be found". This happens for all the PDFs in my library.

The files no longer exist on zotero.com (I checked my zotero storage). However, if I look in my zotero data directory, I still see a storage directory with a size of about 70MB. This leads me to believe that my files are still there, but the links to the files have become disrupted somehow.

Could someone help me recover my library?

Thanks a lot,
Amar
  • Provide a debug ID for trying to open a PDF:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#debug_output_logging
  • Thanks Adam.
    The Debug ID is D1235864105
  • OK:
    Attachment file 'C:\Users\Amar Basu\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\6rccwkfq.default\zotero\storage\CA8BBHHW\416817.pdf' not found
    There's no way for files attached to Zotero items to be deleted on their own, so either something else deleted the files or this isn't your original data directory. Was this actually the computer where you added this file? If not, see Files Not Syncing.
  • (It looks like one of your Zotero installations did a full download of your library yesterday, which would be consistent with this being either a new computer or a different data directory.)
  • edited July 2, 2014
    Oh, and you indeed have no files in your personal library online. That can't happen on its own either, so either you never synced the files or you purged your online storage.
  • edited July 2, 2014
    Hmm.. is it possible i purged my online storage and then synced my library? Would that mean all my attachments are lost?

To answer your previous question, this is not the computer where I added the file. I use a computer at home where I added it. It's quite possible this file was added a few years back, before I purchased my current computer
  • Well, if you're using WebDAV, purging makes sense. It doesn't affect your local files.

See the Files Not Syncing page.