zotero standalone on mac does not open

I have imported a large bibliography, and all went well. then I have tried to open again the standalone on my mac and it does not open it any more. additionally I have deleted the collection but not the items from my personal library. is there someway I can revert my change and delete library and items from my online zotero libray? is this connected with the fact that my standalone does not work anymore? I have tried to install the plugin in firefox from another computer and it tells me too much recursion happens and does not sync.
thanks for any help
  • then I have tried to open again the standalone on my mac and it does not open it any more
    What do you mean by this? What happens, exactly?
    I have tried to install the plugin in firefox from another computer and it tells me too much recursion happens and does not sync.
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/37556/too-much-recursion-sync-error/#Item_18
  • edited June 19, 2014
    It's possible Standalone is trying to perform a very large sync on startup. Have you tried simply letting it run for a bit? Currently, large syncs can freeze Zotero for a while. (We're working to fix this in the next major version.)
  • I have also tried to reinstall it, it simply does not open any more, I am not able to give you more details. I try to open, the machine starts boiling up and uses up 100% CPU, then it says the application does not answer. I have seen the workaround for firefox, but that would be temporary anyway as that machine is not the one I am using. could you please help me with my standalone on mac? thanks a lot
  • I have seen now the other comment. yes. it is possible, there were 15500+ records there... both in my library and in the groups. eventually what I was about to do was removing from my personal library what I added to the group one. so should I wait the next version? I would let it work, but it just stops and says not answering.
  • No, try just letting it run. It could easily take, say, 20-30 minutes.
  • Unless it's actually crashing — meaning that it shuts down completely — it's not a problem. Freezing for a while is expected for a huge sync in the current version.
  • I am trying to see what it does, actually you are right, it keeps using up the cpu (?) even if not answering.

could I simplify its task by removing those 15000 records from my personal library? is there a way online to revert my mistake in deleting the collection and delete instead collection and items as I would have done in the standalone?

thanks a lot.
  • No, just leave it at this point and let it sync.
  • thank you very much! its open now!