understanding tags

I understand what they are and what they do -- but I can't figure out how to control them. I have tags still there from articles that are no longer in my library, and I cannot figure out how to delete them. A right-click on a tag just gets me a general Firefox menu. A blog entry mentioned a tag icon -- I cannot find a tag icon. Since I demonstrated Zotero to grad students in school psychology and counseling, I have tags like drug addiction and child abuse, which have nothing to do with my own research. How do I delete tags?

ETA: The problem is with My Library on the Zotero homepage, not with the My Library on the Firefox add-on. The Firefox add-on truly only displays tags related to current content.
  • The problem is with My Library on the Zotero homepage, not with the My Library on the Firefox add-on. The Firefox add-on truly only displays tags related to current content.
    Have you successfully synced your local Zotero with zotero.org? I believe tag purging is currently only done in the client, so removing items from tags (i.e. deleting all items with a particular tag) _online_ would not remove the tag from the library.