importing Procite keywords as "automatic tag" and Procite call number as "user-added tag"

I need some help with managing the import of tags...

In Procite, I used the keyword field for labels that were generated by databases or derived from the journal article itself (analogous to what Zotero calls an "automatic tag"); and I used the call number field to hold my own keywords (analogous to what Zotero calls a "user-added tag").

When I imported the Procite database into Zotero, all the ProCite keywords became Zotero user-added tags, and the ProCite call number was placed into the Zotero notes section. I figured I might be able to fix this, in part, by converting all user-added tags into automatic tags - but my search of the forums leads me to believe that this kind of user management of tags is not currently supported.

So does anyone know of a way to redo the import and specify that
1) ProCite keywords become Zotero automatic tags
2) ProCite call numbers become user-added tags?

As I no longer have a way to run ProCite, my data from that program are in a *.RIS file, which I believe is an RIS-Endnote style format: keywords are prefaced by KW; and my call number(s) are prefaced by N1 - although unfortunately it appears that some entires have two N1 fields (although the one that contains the relevant text has the label "Cal Number" in it). Here is part of one record from the RIS file:
TY - JOUR
N1 - Record Number: 10
A1 - Turner, D. P.
< I omitted a bunch of fields here so as to shorten this already too long missive>
N1 - Notes: Page Count: 16
< I omitted a bunch of fields here so as to shorten this already too long missive>
N1 - Call Number: C balance of plants
KW - Age-Class Distribution
KW - Carbon Pools and Flux
KW - Carbon Sources and Sinks
ER -

Cheers, Greg
  • You could do both of those by customizing the RIS import translator. (Make sure you've updated to the latest version, which was released yesterday featuring some ProCite improvements. Preferences -> General -> Update Now). Before I provide further instructions, how are multiple keywords entered in the Call Number field? Is the format consistent?
  • I just updated to v 4.0.20 for the mac (standalone version)... Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide!

The items only have a single keyword assigned to them (in the Call Number field).
  • Changed my mind. Download this translator (right-click -> Save link) and put it in your <Zotero data directory>/translators (it should overwrite existing RIS.js). Restart Zotero/Firefox, then try importing again. Once you're done with your import, go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Files and Folders -> Reset Translators... then wait a minute and do Preferences -> General -> Update Now.
  • @aurimas - Thanks, that worked perfectly! I really appreciate your prompt reply and personal coding effort on my behalf. I realize that the ProCite database format is a nightmare, and hopefully you won't have many more of us to deal with (please don't blame we victims who stumbled upon this program as grad students in the 90's) - but may I suggest that you folks consider, in a future release, a dialog box for mapping fields when importing? Perhaps that would be too much effort by developers for too little reward, but it might reduce the amount of time spent by you and others coding for single cases like mine.
  • I don't know to what degree that's doable. For example, a request like yours requires very specific coding solutions for the automated vs. non-automated tags, they couldn't just be implemented by flipping a switch.

Everything that _can_ be easily implemented in a dialog can also be easily done in the RIS using search&replace.

Fortunately, we're seeing more and more standardization in these, so custom solutions are pretty much limited to ProCite and RefMan, which are (also fortunately) dying out.