Standalone + Chrome and Wiley - Cannot pull PDFs

I'm having issues with Zotero standalone on my Mac. Currently it cannot pull the PDFs from websites when I do the one-click reference add.

For instance, on articles such as this: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.201400837/abstract

The Standalone will pull the snapshot, the metadata and all the rest, but not the PDF. The Zotero Firefox extension does not seem to have this problem, but for various reasons I very much prefer to run the standalone when possible.

Has anyone else had this issue, or is there a known fix?
  • is this the URL as you see it or is there a proxy element that you're deleting?
  • As I see it, no proxy.
  • odd. And when you hover over the URL bar icon, what does it say? (It'll be something like "Saving to Zotero (...)" what matters is the part in parentheses.
  • "Save to Zotero (Wiley Online Library)"

This is a highly reproducible issue for every Wiley publication. None of them allow PDFs to be pulled using Chrome + Zotero standalone on a mac. I haven't been able to save a PDF from Wiley using the one-click in at least six months.

I have not personally tried the same thing on a PC, but I had a coworker attempt it and they had no problems.

And like I said, the Firefox extension works flawlessly.
  • When you click the URL bar icon and the notification box pops up at the bottom right, what does it say at the top?

Can you produce a Debug ID from both Chrome and Standalone for an attempt to import that article (preferably the same attempt)?
  • edited June 5, 2014
    Notification box says: "Saving to (folder name)..." And underneath "(parent item), (subitem: snapshot)"

Totally normal, just without the PDF ever making an appearance.

Debug IDs (for the same action):

Chrome connector: D332014929

Zotero standalone: D1606272282
  • aurimas:
    (5)(+0000004): Translate: Running handler 0 for itemDone

(3)(+0000003): HTTP GET http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.201400837/pdf

(3)(+0000002): Translate: Translation successful

(5)(+0000003): Translate: Running handler 0 for done

(3)(+0001434): Translate: Could not determine PDF URL.

(3)(+0000004): Translate: No iframe found
  • What do you see in Chrome if you go to http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.201400837/pdf Do you see the PDF with a Wiley banner at the top?
  • edited June 6, 2014
    No banner, just the PDF.

Just in case you need it, here is the debug ID for adding the item under the Firefox extension, with successful PDF pull: D108697643.

In firefox I do see the banner, or iframe, when clicking on the PDF. I am not sure why Chrome hides it. AdBlock shows no blocked items when I click on the PDF, and the only other extension I have running is HTTPS everywhere.
  • Try disabling the two other extensions, restart Chrome, see if that makes a difference (this is for testing only).
  • edited June 6, 2014
    To clarify, the banner still does not appear when I disable AdBlock and HTTPS Everywhere.

edit: Also, even after restarting, there is no change in the results. No banner, and no PDF being pulled, though everything else works fine.
  • We may have seen this (though with Safari) https://github.com/zotero/translators/pull/442 If this is really happening with Chrome, then we need to come up with a different solution than what was proposed in that pull request.
  • Any updates on this?

I should also mention that under Chrome Standalone in Windows, the automatic PDF download works just fine, so it's clearly an issue with the Mac version of Standalone.
  • no, this'll take some time to figure out. This may end up requiring a change not just in the translator but in Zotero proper.

The issue isn't with the Mac version of Zotero, it's with the Mac Chrome and Safari version of the Wiley webpage, which, for reasons that aren't quite clear to me, displays PDFs differently than on any other set-up.