Sync Preview Capabilities

Hi-

I am very excited for Zotero 1.5! After reading up on this next version, two issues come to mind about its potential capabilities that I am hoping you could address:

1) For research projects that involve multiple people from different countries, could each participant access and modify a shared Zotero library? Would it be possible for an "administrator" of a library to protect certain data (e.g. not allow users to inadvertently delete a collection, etc.)?

2) Regarding the CSL capabilities, if the citation style for, say, the journal TheLancet is not already part of the list of styles, could I fairly easily add this journal style to the official Zotero (or my own) list? Currently it seems quite technical for me to figure out.

Many thanks!!!
-SR
  • 1. Although collaboration is not the ultimate use case for Zotero 1.5 some research groups are already using the Sync Preview for that purpose. For the time being this will be an excellent means for small groups of scholars to collaborate. In the long term, with Zotero 2.0, there will be more sophisticated ways to share and collaborate, which will include the ability to assign administrators. However, for now, if you want to use 1.5 in this collaborative fashion you will need to trust each of your collaborators with full privileges.

2. If you search through the forums for information on making and editing CSLs you should find several different threads with different approaches. It will require a bit of technical skill, though in many cases not too much. You might first try playing with this simple style generator.