Allow moving duplicate items into Group libraries

Currently, if a group library already contains an item, no member of the group can copy a duplicate of that item to the library. I think this is based on the same function that prevents adding an item to a collection twice.

For group libraries, this can be inconvenient, as frequently one group member has a better version of the item (either more complete metadata or a better digital copy of the article) they would like to replace the current version. Right now, this involves either deleting the original version (problematic if it has been cited) or finding the attachment in the file system and manually adding it to the current version. It would be simpler to copy the new version into the group, then merge the duplicates.

Is there a particular reason it works as it does now, or is it more of an artifact of using the same function as for adding items to collections?
  • The reasoning is more complicated and connected to the idea that the items are still linked (with potential future functionality implications).

However, there's broad consensus that the status quo isn't good. The plan is to simply update the group item with the dragged item unless the group item has been modified more recently. In that case we'll probably need a merge dialog. I don't know if there's a ticket for this, but Dan and I hashed the details out in a forum thread about a year ago.
  • Good to know that the details have been hashed out. Is this slated for inclusion in any of the planned releases (4.1, 4.2)?
  • not slated for a specific version, but since it doesn't touch the data model and isn't _that_ big of a change, it's also note tied to a major release, so could happen before or in between.