Getting rid of "by" for translators and editors in Chicago

Whenever there is an editor or translator, Zotero adds “by," for example:

John Doe, The book of whatever, trans. by. Jane Doe, (New York: Fancy Publisher, 1994).

John Doe, The book of whatever, ed. by. Jane Doe, (New York: Fancy Publisher, 1994).

the correct Chicago citation would be:

John Doe, The book of whatever, trans. Jane Doe, (New York: Fancy Publisher, 1994).

John Doe, The book of whatever, ed. Jane Doe, (New York: Fancy Publisher, 1994).

How do I stop Zotero from including the "by"?

thanks!
  • I can't replicate that. Which Zotero version?
    If you do have the most recent Zotero version, make sure to also re-install Chicago style from the styles repository -- zotero.org/style
  • Hi,
    I have the latest zotero version. There are many different Chicago styles to choose from, which one should I download that will look like what I copied above? This is for note form in the footnotes.

thanks!
  • They shouldn't vary in that respect, but I tested this with the "full note" version.
  • I'm not sure what you mean, it seems all of the styles are only appropriate for bibliographies, but not for footnotes, which should look like the one above.
  • just install the style. It does footnotes and bibliography.
  • it is installed, but for some reason it doesn't turn out in footnote style. I probably am doing something wrong, but am not quite sure what, I'm not not very technie. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to get the footnote format please?
  • How are you using the style? Word plugin? Right-click--> Create bibliography? Some other way?
  • ok, wow, I never realized until now that after choosing create bibliography that I could choose notes or bibliography as different options. Mystery solved, thanks for your help!
  • Just in case you're not aware, for most writing, using the Word/LibreOffice/OpenOffice plugins is the most efficient way and the way that Zotero was designed to be used.

Right-click -> Create bibliography has its uses too though.
  • Just in case you're not aware, for most writing, using the Word/LibreOffice/OpenOffice plugins is the most efficient way and the way that Zotero was designed to be used.
    that's arguably especially true for Chicago note styles, since the word add-on will automatically shorten subsequent citations to works and insert ibid. where appropriate.
  • thanks, but it never seemed to work well with me, but I'll try it out again!