How to reinstate Zotero standalone onto MacBook Pro

Microsoft techies recently spent 8 hours trying to resolve a problem with Word (which they admitted they could not fix hence no $99 charge). As part of the process, they uninstalled and reinstalled Word.

Now the little icons are no longer on the top left of my Word document (although I have all the references). Consequently, I cannot add or edit any references in the body of my test.

How do I get Zotero back?

Also, is Zotero compatible with Pages (Apple's version of Word) as I was almost tempted to ditch Word and buy Pages, but could find no reference to Zotero being compatible.
  • How do I get Zotero back?
    In Zotero Standalone, Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors -> Reinstall/Install Microsoft Word Add-in
    Also, is Zotero compatible with Pages (Apple's version of Word) as I was almost tempted to ditch Word and buy Pages, but could find no reference to Zotero being compatible.
    It's not compatible. What Word issue are you experiencing? (more out of curiosity than anything else)
  • I reinstalled the Add-in, but now when I try to add a new citation, the screen greys out so I cannot press any of the icons at the top of the page and does nothing. It does the same thing whether it is on a brand new document or with my existing document and whether I want to add a totally new citation or amend an existing one.

I had been using a version of the Harvard system that I had modified Zotero and really hope this is not going to be an issue.

Re Word, the software refused to update the Table of Contents with the names of the Tables and Figures and their page numbers after page 159 of a 300 + page document.
  • I'd recommend working on fixing this in a new document, where there won't be any delays. First thing to check would be whether the insert citation window actually does open but is hidden behind another window. Circle through all your windows - the insert citation window will be grouped with Firefox/Zotero, not with Word.
  • I have Mozilla open and Zotero and have closed all other docs on my screen apart from the Word document I'm working on. Nothing happening when I try to add a new citation. Same results with editing an existing citation.

Closed the main document and opened a blank page. Still unable to enter a new citation.

Any other suggestions?
  • Have you tried disabling all other Firefox add-ons? And you've cycled through the Firefox Windows using Cmd+` to make sure the window isn't there?

If so, provide an error report ID from Zotero after trying to insert a citation into a fresh document.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • It works! I restarted my computer and all is well again. Thank you.