Retrieve PDF metadata AFTER creating parent item

I imported a whole bunch of PDFs into Zotero.

I created parent items in bulk, by selecting all of them and creating parent items all at once.

I would now like to retrieve the metadata for at least some of them.

However, the option to do so is no longer available (in the right-click menu). It is not even available for single PDF attachments that I know have the metadata available online.

Edit:

I am using Zotero stand-alone 4.0.20 w/ Windows Home Premium, and the Zotero add-on for Firefox
  • edited May 24, 2014
    "Retrieve Metadata for PDF" creates parent items. It's not an option for attachments that already have parent items. (While it could in theory work for empty parent items, if the parent item had metadata already, it would have to either overwrite what was there or perform some sort of merge/conflict resolution process to figure out what you actually wanted.)

You can drag PDFs out of their parents (though it's a little tricky, and you can't do it in bulk) and then run Retrieve Metadata on them, or you could import the PDFs again and delete the ones you already imported. (Sorting by Date Added should make that easy.)
  • Thank you! I figured it was impossible. (Too bad I was so hasty at the time...)
  • edited May 28, 2014
    I have the same problem, so I wanted to drag my documents out of their parents, but when I try on one document, it does nothing...(I use Zotero stand-alone 4.0.20)

EDIT : I dragged it under all the other documents, I just find out that the drag doesn't work when you release on the blanck below ! (sorry I'm french, it's difficult to explain :) )